The conversation is too massive for me to have time to reply to
everyone, but I think I will step in here. That is a good point about
what might be pre-wired in. In fact, evolution works very slowly, so
the pre-wiring would have had to occur over the past couple of million
years. It is hard to see how a belief in an afterlife would have
helped Paleolithic Homo sapiens (I don't know why the spell checker
says that is wrong. I double-checked the dictionary and that is what
the dictionary says) and earlier species, to survive. It is a
complicated idea so would require selection of several genes, which
would require a very large number of deaths of early people not having
the genes to become set in by evolution. Why would not having that
belief have caused almost all early humans without that belief to die
before reproducing? Perhaps when something shows up in brain research,
it is only  emotions associated with the belief, not the belief
itself, which is being detected. It is also, by the way, generally
thought that neurological research is not yet able to detect specific
ideas that someone is thinking.

In any case, whether there is a hard-wired belief or not is completely
irrelevant to whether or not reincarnation actually occurs.

Note that all my derivations start with data which is highly commonplace.

Jim