Near the end of his life his thought turned more philosophical. In his
memoir, Wigner said: "The full meaning of life, the collective meaning
of all human desires, is fundamentally a mystery beyond our grasp. As
a young man, I chafed at this state of affairs. But by now I have made
peace with it. I even feel a certain honor to be associated with such
a mystery." He became interested in the Vedanta philosophy of
Hinduism, particularly its ideas of the universe as an all pervading
consciousness[1]. In his collection of essays Symmetries and
Reflections - Scientific Essays, he commented "It was not possible to
formulate the laws (of quantum theory) in a fully consistent way
without reference to consciousness."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigner