<http://www.institutespiritualsciences.org/> Articles
<http://www.institutespiritualsciences.org/articles.php> Art Gallery
<http://www.institutespiritualsciences.org/art_gallery.php> Store
<http://www.institutespiritualsciences.org/store.php> For Children
<http://www.institutespiritualsciences.org/blog_child/start.php> About
ISS <http://www.institutespiritualsciences.org/about.php> Contact Us
<http://www.institutespiritualsciences.org/contact.php> Admin
<http://www.institutespiritualsciences.org/builder/>
Your browser does not support the IFRAME tag. This means it is very
outdated. We suggest you update your browser.
CHAPTER ONE
East Meets West
  [H.H. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi with Charlie and Helen Lutes, 1960]

Nicky and I were out, as usual, taking our nightly constitutional along
Ventura Boulevard. For me, the walking was good exercise and a relaxing
form of therapy, an attempt to flush out the tension built up during a
day of business activity. Nicky, of course, loved it. A dog needs his
exercise after being cooped up in the backyard all day and our little
Cocker Spaniel was no exception.

It was a pleasant evening around the beginning of 1959.

Nicky was doing his thing, intently exploring the doggy wonders of the
sidewalk world, and I was absent-mindedly window gazing and mulling over
the day's events.

>From out of nowhere, so it seemed, a stranger approached. He was
distinguished-looking, well-dressed, middle-aged. He greeted me and
expressed admiration for the dog.

"Yes," I said, 'Nicky' is quite an animal. We are even thinking of
sending him off to culinary school so he can cook and earn his keep."

The man laughed but immediately turned serious and said, "Very great
indeed is your good fortune because shortly you will meet a master of
this earth and our time who is going to have great impact on the world
with his teaching. And you will become very close to him."

Before I had a chance to respond, the man bid me good night and walked
briskly away down the street and turned the corner.

The strange encounter seemed to have paralyzed me right in my tracks. By
the time I got myself in motion again it must have been a full minute. I
hurried to the corner to find the man and ask for an explanation. How
did he know all that?

I reached the corner and saw no one. He couldn't have gone very far, yet
he had seemingly vanished. I had never seen him before and I never saw
him again.