--- On Mon, 12/15/08, Sal Sunshine <salsunsh...@lisco.com> wrote:

> From: Sal Sunshine <salsunsh...@lisco.com>
> Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Letters From an Enlightened Man
> To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 3:05 PM
> On Dec 15, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Peter wrote:
> > Sal, I'm not condemning you for your reaction;
> I'll withdraw my
> > first's post implied condemnation! The first AOL
> in residence course
> > they served us fruit for lunch only. At first I went,
> "What?" but
> > then I just thought what the hell. It was no big deal.
> But my first
> > impulse was the one you had. I've had very
> powerful experiences
> > around SSRS, so I trust him. If the AOL people or SSRS
> are skimping
> > on meals simply to make money, that'll be their
> bad karma, but I
> > have a hard time seeing it that way. Did you have
> fruit for dinner
> > too?
>
> Peter, *all* we had was FRUIT.  Breakfast?  Fruit.  Lunch?
> Fruit.
> Dinner?  Fruit.  And, if you weren't totally fruited
> out by then, you
> probably could have gotten some for snacks too.  It was
> like being
> on a 5-day long enema.

It must have been one of the earlier courses because I don't think they have
fruit for dinner anymore.

> I was kind of kidding about saving $$, I have no idea
> what the reasons were.  But, to me at least, it just seemed
> like more of the same old "Do as I say and not as I
> do"
> bullshit that most of us were trying to get away from.
> And yeah, I do think that SSRS eating delicious Indian
> meals while the rest of us were essentially being forced
> to eat nothing but FRUIT was a dirty trick. Why didn't
> they just tell us
> beforehand, so people could have taken that into
> account when deciding whether or not to go?  Because
> they probably would have gotten about 2 people for the
> course, that's why.

I get your point. As I said before, I would have initially reacted the same way
as you did, but then i would have said what the hell an seen it as an
adventure. But of course, informed consent would have been the best.

> Or, they could have given people a choice when they
> applied,
> letting everyone make the decision for themselves.  But
> that's
> not what they did, of course.
>

> > That would be a little rough on many people. Probably
> good for them,
> > or at least, most of them, but not an informed choice
> as you note.
> > How long was the course?
>
> Way too much of a good thing for a lot of people.  And like
> I said,
> it wasn't even the fruit that was the worst part, it
> was the deception:
> get peoples' $$ and then you can make any idiotic
> decision you want,
> and if they don't like it, they've still paid.  And
> the course leaders
> knew
> it too, you could have heard a pin drop when they made the
> announcement.
> I thought the guy who made it--Kevin I think his name
> was--looked
> a little smug when he did, but maybe that's just my
> spin.
>
> Sal

I took my basic course from Kevin. He's an author of children's books, I
believe, and has a sister in AOL too. I don't know him well enough to comment
on his personality, although almost all the AOL people I've met in positions of
leadership are pretty straight ahead and quite the breath of fresh air compared
to the TMO crew!