Stu wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcg...@...>
> wrote:
>
>> A while back, someone posted this link:
>>
>> http://www.spiritualregeneration.org/Flash/AccrossTheUniverseFionaAppleV
>> er.swf
>>

>> I have a presentation for my business that I would like to set up on
>> the internet like this. That is, a slide show accompanied by a vocal
>> track, in sinc with the slides.
>>
>> Does anyone know what this process is called?
>>
>> I thank you in advance for your attention to this query.
>>

> Looks like a JPEGs strung together in iMovie, FCP, Premiere,  or Avid
> and converted to a streaming flash video.  Its pretty easy to do.  A
> little harder to do well.
>
> s.
It's a Shockwave Flash presentation and those are often NOT streaming
files with video.  They actually have the pictures, audio and code for
transitions in the file.  That makes for a very  small file compared to
a streaming video.  Apparently proprietary and Adobe charges a lot for
the software to do it though I think they used to have a "basic" version
for less.  If Shemp is taking any classes like at a college (or teaching
any for that matter) he could get a student discount.   Adobe is hurting
and I don't think raising their prices was the solution.  They just had
layoffs too.  Then there is a open source initiative to replace Flash
which probably includes Shockwave presentations.  If it wasn't
proprietary companies like Ulead, Nero, Magix and Pinnacle would have
released similar products.

Big problem is many lame web designers go wild with Flash and bog down
browers.  I've seen one Flash add running on a website the maxes out
everyones CPU.  Users found if they used Flash block and turned off that
ad the CPU max out went away.  I guess it is time to add performance
modules to web design software with warnings that tell the hair-brained
that there design will cause problems.