At one point during the War of 1812, some upstart American pricks
from upstate New York snuck over the Ontario border, visited some
nearby Canadian farms and attempted to wreak some havoc.

The Canadians took no pity on them.  They shot and killed some,
causing the remaining Americans to run, tails between their legs,
crying like little girls back to the American side of the border.

Mischief was met with death and a heavy hand.

Well, it worked.  You Americans haven't bothered us since.  In fact,
we've become the greatest friends and allies for the ensuing 200
years and, in addition to enjoying peace and prosperity together,
enjoy the friendliest border in the world and the largest trading
partnership of any two nations on the face of the Earth.

But it took putting you Americans in your place to have this
relationship.  It took a DISPROPORTIONATE response to your mischief
in order for you to learn to be our friends.

The Palestinians would do well to heed the lesson the Americans
learned.  If you lob bombs across the border expect to have the heavy
hand of discipline rain down upon you by the Israelis.

The Lebanese learned that lesson two summers ago.  I am pretty
confident in saying that that is the reason they haven't been causing
the Israelis as problems since.