On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM, ultrarishi <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> On just the playback side of the issue in the dome, how good are the
> building acoustics.  Assumming they are good and not causing phase
> cancellation, etc., how good is the electronic playback chain?  What
> is the source tape?  Reel to reel or cassette?  Is the deck halfway
> decent and able to provide a wide range and distortion free output to
> the mixing board?  Do they ever clean the heads? Is the mixing board
> high fidelity?  Are the power amps sufficient to drive the speakers?
>  Are speakers full range in the dome?  Finally, does the guy running
> the board know what he's doing (not over-driving the inputs to each
> stage, etc.)

If you've not been to the Dome in decades, then obviously you don't know
that when you go to Devco to register/get your badge renewed, you are
offered one of those pinkish ear buds.  The ones that cost about $0.50 max.
Some men have their own super fancy earphones, but remember we're talking
the Dome here.  It's not like your fancy earphones are protected by the
Maharishi Effect.  For further information on this loophole, please access
Dr. Hagelin's ME exception #23534.

The sound distribution is a klug to behold.  There are el cheap wires
(mostly unshielded) running under the foam.  Every so often (but typically
not often enough) there is a stand made out of plywood.  The stand has holes
drilled in it for the female end of phono plugs.  The Vedic chanting
distribution system is separate from the other sound system in the Dome.
This is I believe something new because I swear when the Dome was hopping
many years ago you could listen to what was going on using an earphone.
There's a not very expensive tape casette deck which though under the charge
of MUM AV, is doubtfully cleaned and the heads demagnitized.    Just what do
you expect for rice and dahl, a room and $50 a month?

> I have not been to MUM (MIU then) in 20 years, so I don't remember
> how good the audio fidelity was.  Have improvements been made to the
> sound system there in the past 20 years or are they still using the
> same equipment.

Much better sound system.  Looks like no upgrade to the tape player and
distribution system.

> One of things the gets me about MMY worrying about early digital
> recording not being good enough, was how he was always stressing that
> Veda was written with a great deal of redundancy so that it could
> stand the test of time.  It seems to me that regardless of the
> electronic means of recording and presentation, the Veda should hold
> up anyway.  Otherwise, what the heck is it good for!
>
> Dude?  What /are/ you thinking?  The meter and the structure act sort of
like a CRC and LRC (cyclical redundance check and longitudinal redundancy
check).  There exist in computers and networks checksums (CRCs) and parity
bits which if you've got really good hardware can correct in one byte a
single bit and flag two bits as bad.  The meter and structure of the Ved is
there to keep the Ved intact so that it stays "flow Soma" and doesn't become
"flop Sammy".  The Ved is set up more like accounts in a bank and credit
card account numbers.  The first so many numbers, when you add the first to
the third, divide by the second and subtract the fourth number (pulling this
out of my ass) should equal the check digit(s).  That's only there to tell
you that you've got an account number that would validly be assigned to
someone.  The Ved is a little more elegant than checking account numbers but
not by much.

The internally consistent structure of the Ved is there to protect it, not
to enable your ear to reconstruct what it shoulda been.