--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

[snip]

> The "Mickey Mouse Law" or what is known as the Digital Millennium
> Copyright Act (DMCA) took away a lot of the "fair use" rights.
Some
> still remain.  It really depends on the rights holder and many of
the
> rights holders are not the author whose article you are quoting but
the
> big corporation they work for.  Depending on the corporation they
can
> act just like Nazis or be wise and note that if you are posting the
> article (even the full one) that you are doing some advertising for
> them.   Mostly I post a "teaser" or a few lines of the article and
then
> the link to the full article.  Now note there are some sites,
mainly
> political that allow you to post the full article as long as you
give
> credit and a link.  Some will just blatantly tell you to post the
> article on your blog or group.

If I had a website in which people were doing a lot of copying and
pasting from it I would only mind if I had advertising and they
didn't also copy and paste the advertising as, often, websites make
money from the click-through on the advertising.  So, I suppose that
would mean that if I were copying an article to FFL I would want to
use "Rich-Text Editor (Beta).

I'd also want the copier to provide a link to my website.

> Copyrights and patents for that matter have gotten a little out of
> hand.  The DMCA adding ridiculous lifespans to copyrights.  That's
why
> we call it the "Mickey Mouse Law" because it was Disney who lobbied
for
> the changes because their copyright was about to expire on Mickey
> Mouse.   It used to be that you were granted a copyright for 27
years
> and then you could renew once.
>
> The problem with patents has been mainly with software patents
which
> should have never been granted.  They were because the Patent
Office