On Jan 14, 2009, at 8:42 PM, curtisdeltablues wrote:

> Now on to the real King!  Elvis was a bit before my time.  I was all
> wrapped up in the Brits.  But I'm making up for lost time now, I'm
> reading his two volume biography.  It restore a piece of the link from
> my blues guys to today.  His first song put out was a cover of Big Boy
> Cruddup's "That's Alright Mama."  When you get back I would like to
> hear how his early performances effected you.  He was more interesting
> and talented than I knew.  Youtube is catching me up.  In singing some
> of his songs I am amazed at his expressiveness.

Curtis,
In the bio of Elvis I read a few years back, the author told the story
of
how he was recording a song in Sun Studios before he became famous,
and he was singing Crying In The Chapel (at least I'm pretty sure that
was the song).  Anyway, a woman was in there just to pick something
up, heard him singing, and asked who it was.  When they told her,
she said she was so moved by his voice she got the chills.

I also remember reading his mother never really understood
his stardom and why he became such an iconic figure.  But how
could she, really?  Too close.  And there'd never been anyone like him
before.

Sal