Next time someone on FFL calls you a racist, point
out these eight cool words that they and most people
use often, without realizing that they're being racists
by doing so. Cool article on etymology, definitions
courtesy of the American Heritage Dictionary:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16967_8-racist-words-you-use-every-day.html

The words and phrases in question are:
* hooligan
* vandal
* hip hip hooray!
* barbarian
* bugger
* cannibal
* gyp
* picnic

More related Word Fun links:

8 Everyday Words With X-Rated Origins
http://www.cracked.com/article_16539_8-everyday-words-with-x-rated-origins.html
* hysteria
* orchid
* seminar
* venus flytrap
* avocado
* mastodon
* manatee
* fundamental

9 Words That Don't Mean What You Think
http://www.cracked.com/article_15664_9-words-that-dont-mean-what-you-think.html
* irregardless
* peruse
* ironic
* pristine
* nonplussed
* bemused
* enormity
* plethora
* deceptively

And finally, now that you're completely confused, here
is an invaluable and completely factual Q&A from Mister
Language Person (Dave Barry) to clear everything up and
make it all right again:

Q. When should I say ``phenomena,'' and when should I say
``phenomenon?''
A. ``Phenomena'' is what grammarians refer to as a
``subcutaneous invective,'' which is a word used to describe
skin disorders, as in ``Bob has a weird phenomena on his neck
shaped like Ted Koppel.'' Whereas ``phenomenon'' is used to
describe a backup singer in the 1957 musical group ``Duane
Furlong and the Phenomenons.''
Q. What was their big hit?
A. ``You Are the Carburetor of My Heart.''

TODAY'S BUSINESS WRITING TIP: In writing proposals
to prospective clients, be sure to clearly state the benefits they
will receive:
WRONG: ``I sincerely believe that it is to your advantage to
accept this proposal.''
RIGHT: ``I have photographs of you naked with a squirrel.''

Q. OK, sorry. Anyway, I have just returned from a trip to
England, and I noticed that the English put an extra ``u'' in
certain words, such as ``rumour,'' ``humour'' and ``The
Roulling Stounes.'' Also they call some things by totally
different names, such as ``lift'' when they mean ``elevator,''
``bonnet'' when they mean ``lorry'' and ``twit'' when they mean
``former Vice President Quayle.'' My question is, don't they
have any dentists over there?
A. Apparently nout.

Q. Please explain the correct usage of the word ``neither.''
A. Grammatically, ``neither'' is used to begin sentences with
compound subjects that are closely related and wear at least a
size 24, as in: ``Neither Esther nor Bernice have passed up
many Ding Dongs, if you catch my drift.'' It may also be used at
the end of a carnivorous injunction, as in: ``And don't touch
them weasels, neither.''

Q. My husband and I recently received a note containing this
sentence: ``Give us the money, or you seen the last of you're
child.'' I say that the correct wording should be ``you have
done seen the last of you're child,'' but my husband, Warren,
insists it should be ``you have been done seeing the last of
you're child.'' This has become a real bone of contention, to the
point where Warren refuses to come out of the utility shed.
What do you think?
A. We think that an excellent name for a band would be:
``The Bones of Contention.''