--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, billy jim <emptyb...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> The facts remain the same. The crux of a sutra is
> its meaning because the sutra is an idea. It is
> that idea which is entertained in awareness through
> the mode of a briefly focused attention.

FWIW, the term I heard over and over during my
TM-Sidhis instruction was that the sutra is an
*intention*, which is more than just an "idea,"
I think.

> It is entertained through recollection or smriti.
> Thus mindfulness is summarily present.
>
> Maharishi described meditative attention as "active
> but undirected", meaning alert but resting. Returning
> to the mantra occurs when recollection occurs. Thus
> mindfulness is also summarily present.

That sounds to me as though you're using a very broad
definition of "mindfulness." In my experience, one is
not mindful of recollecting the mantra; recollection
simply occurs when a train of spontaneous thought has
played itself out. (And again in my experience, the
recollection and the return to the mantra are virtually
simultaneous, almost as if the recollection *is* the
mantra.)