8% growth rate target needed for a sustainable reduction in Indian
poverty now in doubt

India 'could miss growth target'

India's economy will fail to hit the target of growing 8% a year
called for in its five-year plan, prime minister Manmohan Singh has
warned. Mr Singh said an agricultural slowdown, as well as a lack of
infrastructure and high oil prices had hit growth.

He voiced particular fears for agriculture, where growth has slowed
from 3.2% in 1980-96 to just 2.1%

The prime minister made the comments during a ministers' meeting in
Delhi to review progress of the plan.

During the talks, he added farming's performance had weakened further
and "may not exceed 1.5%" in the early years of the plan.

Monsoon benefits

Mr Singh added that agriculture's problems were partly the result of
an ongoing difficulty in coping with changes in the annual June-
September monsoon season, and partly down to a lack of investment.

  He's making the political establishment aware this is how much
below potential we are and he's making an appeal to coalition
partners to help us get our act together

Abheek Barua, analyst

Low funds mean farmers are unable to irrigate their fields to make
the most of the rains, leaving farm output vulnerable to shifting
weather patterns - the worst monsoon in 15 years dragged economic
growth down to 4% in the year to March 2003.

Adopting improved post-harvest management and better production
practices could make a difference, he said.

The sector is key to the country's economy, and while its reliance on
agriculture has dwindled in recent years leaving its share of the
economy at 20%, farming still supports two thirds of India's
population.

Infrastructure was another key bottleneck that must be tackled if the
country's economy was to grow, the prime minister said.

While industry is more competitive and open, expansion of power and
key transport links could catapult it forward to attain 8% growth for
each year of the government's plan.

Missed targets

Instead, he currently expects growth of 7% to 8% this year and next,
but said he feared such expansion could not be sustained in present
conditions.

According to estimates 8% is the growth rate needed for a sustainable
reduction in Indian poverty.

Analysts said it was no surprise the country would miss its target,
but added the prime minister's comments were aimed at igniting action
among the coalition government's political allies.

Recently, communist allies have blocked a number key measures such as
the sale of stakes in government run companies.

"He's making the political establishment aware this is how much below
potential we are and he's making an appeal to coalition partners to
help us get our act together," ABM Amro's chief India economist
Abheek Barua told Reuters