Latest theory, from New Scientist:

...Some of the unique cognitive capacities
that have made us so successful as a species
also work together to create a tendency for
supernatural thinking. "There's now a lot of
evidence that some of the foundations for our
religious beliefs are hard-wired," says
Bloom....

...How does the brain conjure up gods? One of
the key factors, says Bloom, is the fact that
our brains have separate cognitive systems
for dealing with living things - things with
minds, or at least volition - and inanimate
objects....

Bloom says the two systems are autonomous,
leaving us with two viewpoints on the world:
one that deals with minds, and one that
handles physical aspects of the world. He
calls this innate assumption that mind and
matter are distinct "common-sense
dualism"....

There is plenty of evidence that thinking
about disembodied minds comes naturally.
People readily form relationships with non-
existent others: roughly half of all 4-year-
olds have had an imaginary friend, and adults
often form and maintain relationships with
dead relatives, fictional characters and
fantasy partners. As Barrett points out, this
is an evolutionarily useful skill. Without it
we would be unable to maintain large social
hierarchies and alliances or anticipate what
an unseen enemy might be planning....

...Bering considers a belief in some form of
life apart from that experienced in the body
to be the default setting of the human brain.
Education and experience teach us to override
it, but it never truly leaves us, he says.
>From there it is only a short step to
conceptualising spirits, dead ancestors and,
of course, gods, says Pascal Boyer, a
psychologist at Washington University in St
Louis, Missouri....

The ability to conceive of gods, however, is
not sufficient to give rise to religion. The
mind has another essential attribute: an
overdeveloped sense of cause and effect which
primes us to see purpose and design
everywhere, even where there is none. "You
see bushes rustle, you assume there's
somebody or something there," Bloom says.

This over-attribution of cause and effect
probably evolved for survival. If there are
predators around, it is no good spotting them
9 times out of 10. Running away when you
don't have to is a small price to pay for
avoiding danger when the threat is real....

Religion is an inescapable artefact of the
wiring in our brain, says Bloom. "All humans
possess the brain circuitry and that never
goes away." Petrovich adds that even adults
who describe themselves as atheists and
agnostics are prone to supernatural thinking.
Bering has seen this too. When one of his
students carried out interviews with
atheists, it became clear that they often
tacitly attribute purpose to significant or
traumatic moments in their lives, as if some
agency were intervening to make it happen.
"They don't completely exorcise the ghost of
god - they just muzzle it," Bering says.

Read more:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126941.700-born-believers-how-
your-brain-creates-god.html?full=true

http://tinyurl.com/aqmsnn