<curtisdeltabl...@...> wrote:

> > > I'm not sure people long ago could relate to how our
> > > minds function today. Compared to them we may all be
> > > what they believed was enlightened.

Interesting hypothesis.

> > Are you suggesting that most people long ago were
> > what we today would cosider severely mentally
> > deficient??
>
> Back to my original point.  I can't relate to any normal person being
> identified with the objects of perception.
>
> I don't know if how our minds have changes by our media exposure and
> education is significant compared to people in the past or not.  I'm
> guessing that an average agrarian person in ancient India might be
> impressed with what people today take for granted.

Brain plasticity is getting more and more attention and research.
Modern education and life-long reading and learning may indeed reshape
the anatomy and physiology of brain function -- something not thought
possible several decades ago. I wonder if this may result in some
hereditary changes -- which if such occurs, could make increasingly
"educated" societies as quite distinct from past generations --
particularly 1000-3000-5000 years back.

And technology has raised the bar as to what are fascinating "powers".
People in the past who may have been impressed with an advanced yogi
with super ritam abilities -- may yawn off at such when the whole
world of knowledge is increasingly at our fingertips.

Some excerpts -- which I am sure don't do full justice to the field.
*****************
Neuroplasticity (variously referred to as brain plasticity, cortical
plasticity or cortical re-mapping) refers to changes that occur in the
organization of the brain as a result of experience.

The brain consists of cells which are interconnected, and learning may
happen through changing of the strength of the connections, by adding
or removing connections, or by adding new cells. "Plasticity" relates
to learning by adding or removing connections, or adding cells.

... However, studies determined that environmental changes could alter
behavior and cognition by modifying connections between existing
neurons and via neurogenesis in the hippocampus and other parts of the
brain, including the cerebellum[4].

Decades of research have now shown that substantial changes occur in
the lowest neocortical processing areas, and that these changes can
profoundly alter the pattern of neuronal activation in response to
experience. According to the theory of neuroplasticity; thinking,
learning, and acting actually change both the brain's physical
structure (anatomy) and functional organization (physiology) from top
to bottom.

Neuroscientists are presently engaged in a reconciliation of critical
period studies demonstrating the immutability of the brain after
development with the new findings on neuroplasticity, which reveal the
mutability of both structural and functional aspects. A substantial
paradigm shift is now under way: Canadian psychiatrist Norman Doidge
has in fact stated that neuroplasticity is "one of the most
extraordinary discoveries of the twentieth century."[5]

Michael Merzenich is a neuroscientist who has been one of the pioneers
of brain plasticity for over three decades. He has made some of "the
most ambitious claims for the field - that brain exercises may be as
useful as drugs to treat diseases as severe as schizophrenia - that
plasticity exists from cradle to the grave, and that radical
improvements in cognitive functioning - how we learn, think, perceive,
and remember are possible even in the elderly."[5] ...  It was"… as
though the brain didn't want to waste any `cortical real estate' and
had found a way to rewire itself."[5] This implied brain plasticity
during the critical period. ..  Merzenich asserted that "if the brain
map could normalize its structure in response to abnormal input, the
prevailing view that we are born with a hardwired system had to be
wrong. The brain had to be plastic."[5]