--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard M" <compost...@...>
Me:
> "I think it alters my neuro transmitters which makes it very enjoyable
> and addictive for me. So without feeling that it was doing more for me
> outside meditation, I couldn't justify the time spent"

Richard:

> Try substituting "listening to great music" for the word "meditation" in
> the above, and I hope you will see what I mean. I suspect that your
> attitude is driven by a preconception of what is "inside" and what is
> "outside", and that the former is not "real" in some way.
>
> The quietness, the silence that I sense through TM is something that I
> think is profound. It has a "pregnancy" about it that seems to point to
> even more (if I could just get there!). I like that and it pulls me
> in. It's no different (for me) than the sense of the poetic/profound
> you might get from, I don't know, a beautiful sunset, a walk by the
> ocean, or anything else that floats your boat. But more so.

I can relate to this last part.  I agree.  I think that my experiences
in nature are more similar than different.

> Materialists and scientistic types will just shrug all that off as
> "just" feelings, and just some fog in your brain. Their loss I would
> say. They need to get over their religion.

Again I agree.  I wasn't bringing in the neuro transmitter theory to
diminish it.  Where I differ with yoga theory is their assumption that
this silence has ontological implications.  That is the jump I don't
make.  For me I am experiencing a pleasurable silence, not the home of
all the laws of nature or my higher self.  But your appreciation for
the experience for its own sake is something I can relate to.
Meditation is a very charming experience.