Here is a work in progress.  A bit raggedy.  But I'm getting somewhere
I think.  Thanks to everyone who has helped me find my way for my own
POV about certain yoga terms.

> Has nothing to do with Peter's post, however. Like
> Curtis, Ruth is talking about nonattachment as a
> psychological state, whereas Peter's talking about it
> as a state of consciousness. So it's a straw-man
> argument.

Yes, I agree that I got a bit sidetracked in my mental wandering
considering the implications of the terms in their ordinary usage.

So lets get back to the terms in their yogic context and with the
whole body of beliefs and claims they imply.  We'll start with Peter's
excellent post:

Peter
I'd like to argue that you don't know what

So the assumption is that ordinary non yoga practitioners folks are
not witnessing with the best of meditators? That people don't
experience the silent quality of their mind if they choose to bring
their attention to it?  That they are as Maharishi claims "ignorant"
of their true Self and therefor overshadowed by the objects of
perceptions including their mind's functioning and everything else
they experience.  Again from Peter's post:

<What is unattached in enlightenment is pure conscious which
has ALWAYS been unattached. But prior to realization pure
consciousnessidentifies with something other than itself (primarily
the mind, secondarily thebody) and an ego is created. So pure
awareness experiences itself as limited.This is a delusion.>

So is this what most of us experienced before we meditated?
Personally I had plenty of experiences of witnessing in activity and
sleep and plenty of transcending experiences before I did TM.  And
when I taught people TM I heard a lot of other people describe that
they had experienced this before. (Of course I was always quick to
point out that this type of unofficial access to an aspect of their
own self was inferior to the TM access like a good little initiator.)

I give TM credit for being a convenient technique for experiencing the
silent quality of our minds, but since it is after all already there,
not being created by TM, why should we assume that most people are not
walking around with plenty of this quality already?  Why should be buy
into Maharishi's condescension that he is addressing the "peaceless
and suffering humanity?"  Is that really how it is for non meditators?
 Not the people I know.

This is the assumption I find bogus in the yoga system.  That people
aren't already familiar with this aspect of their minds to a lesser or
greater degree.  They just don't have the belief system that glorifies
this natural experience so they don't make a big deal out of it like
meditators do.

Maybe it is due to the assumptive stress theory that it is assumed
that people's nervous systems aren't pure enough to maintain pure
consciousness with activity without TM.  But is it really people's
experience that they as meditators are so radically different from
everyone around them?

Meditators may be a bit more attentive to the silent aspect of their
minds, and due to reinforcement practice may notice it more.  But how
much more?  Do we know that this amount is the key difference for a
person''s life? I know for me personally that there can be too much of
this style of awareness brought on by TM.  A little meditation goes a
long way for me.  Perhaps this is the same for non meditators who are
happy with their silence/active mind balance.

I find that people are more similar than different in their
functioning if I bother to ask them about their internal experience.
If they are given a reason to, they can notice the quieter aspect of
their mind as clearly as any meditator.  I find people doing other
mental techniques who describe similar things to what I experience in
meditation.  Or people whose internal functioning has a calm inner
witness, try hanging out with an emergency room doctor sometime, or a
mother of 3.  They all exhibit the mental qualities of having inner
calm and ability to function clearly under stress that is one of the
big brags about CC.

So I am challenging that people KNOW what others around them
experience inside without asking them, and especially that it is
assumed that somehow that this state of mind needs to be cultivated
through meditation.  I know from my experience that paying attention
to it does in fact make it more obvious.  If I meditate then I feel
very aware of that quality of my mind afterwards.  But I also get this
when I sink into silence before a show or in the woods or in my kayak
in the Potomac.  It is a choice of attention that doesn't require all
the supporting beliefs for it to work.

I am proposing that the people around regular meditators are not
"ignorant" of their true inner nature.  They are not overshadowed by
the objects of attention or identified with their bodies or minds if
they would chose to look at it that way.  In a few moments someone
could be led to an awareness that there is a part of themselves that
is silent inside and most people are already using that choice when
they want to or it is present in their activity already.  Without
years of meditation. But without the supporting belief package, it is
not such a big deal perhaps.

It is the active part of my mind that is the interesting part,the part
that is most ME.  Calling the silent part of my mind my real self
strips me of what I value so I don't buy into that POV.

The assumption that non medtitaors are identified with their minds or
bodies and are "ignorant" of their true inner nature is obnoxiously
self serving as a belief.  It reminds me of those perky Christians who
insist that without me having their experience of giving myself to
Jesus, I am missing out on the joy of being saved.  And they are
completely sure that what TMer call "pure consciousness" is in fact a
dangerous state of empty mind that the devil can slip into.  I wish.

So my question is, how does any meditator "know" that people around
them do NOT have an awareness of their pure consciousness, but without
the belief system that makes such a tremendous fuss about it?