Oh, please, let's not let facts get in the way of a great hypothesis!
It ruins the fun to reveal that al-Zawahiri is an eye surgeon and not a
psychiatrist.

Let's see if we can put together a list of cults and their assignment
of cause to various effects:

- Mass-murders at a McDonald's of several decades ago: according to the
Hari Krishna's, the billions of cows/cattle killed by same caused this
karmic backlash (makes sense to me!)

- 9/11: according to the Scientologists, caused by psychiatrists (hey,
I'll go along with that).

- 9/11: according to Pat Robertson, caused by homosexuals and abortions
(or something like that).

- Levi Butler's murder: according to Maharishi, caused by imbalance in
society at large.

- 9/11 Caused by Princess Diana and Jon Benet Ramsey flying on unicorns
through the Twin Towers (probably the best...google it if you don't
believe me!)

- 9/11 was caused by Hillary and Britney Spears.