On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:22 PM, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>wrote:

> <curtisdeltabl...@...> wrote:
> > And to
> > hear apologists for the the caste system in the movement is a real
> > disgrace to the progressive values of the best thinkers of our
> > generation.  (Oops I was one of THEM!)
> >

> My TB friends every once in a while mention something positive about
> caste systems.  Things like the value of reducing the stress of having
> to find your place in the world.  Or the value of having fathers pass
> on knowledge to their sons.  Somehow, women seem to be left out. :)

Despite the many negative things people in the West have to say about those
who believe in Islam, if you listen very carefully to Muslims you can hear
the difference between the way Muslim women are regarded versus the way
Hindu women are regarded.  In Islam, the husband to be provides the dowry.
The dowry is in effect the divorce settlement and part of the inheritance
from the marriage.  The children, more to the son(s), inherit the estate and
the son(s) support the mother.  In the Hindu tradition, the wife to be must
provide the dowry.  I've always found the very fact that the wife must
provide the dowry as quite a put down of women.  I am not worthy to be your
wife, so here's some wealth to ease the blow of marrying me.