As a student (77-79) I was aware that the sacrifice of staff was at
"heroic" levels (they were spread thin). Yet of the group photos
presented in the yearbooks, I feel the most persuasive feelings of
love and enthusiasm radiate from the group photos of the "volunteer"
staff (for example, see Page 78 of the 1978 Yearbook, available as PDF
at MUM).

In another thread I think it was "Vaj" who stated:
***********
According to friends who worked on staff at MIU for very low wages,
and supposedly to get on course, i.e. pay for the TM-Sidhi course,
they were treated like shudras, like lesser-evolved people, who
shouldn't be touched or engaged. The idea, they felt, was that more
evolved people would naturally receive the "support of nature" and so
they were naturally more prosperous.
************

My sense of a "caste"-like social stratification was one of the
discomforts which led me to leave MIU after the second year. I went on
to another spiritual group in which I took on a role similar to that
of "volunteer staff" at MIU. However, in that other spiritual group,
drudge-work like washing dishes, preparing food, and taking out the
trash were considered "exalted spiritual practices," so there wasn't
such a painful marginalization. Everyone who came to the ashram was
given a seva [service] assignment. (However, later on, greater
favoritism for VIP's also took hold in that group.)

Bottom-line, I think it's important to consider whether God is, after
all, an "equal opportunity employer," and if your paradigm makes
spiritual progress contingent on paying exorbitant course fees
(effectively "paying for enlightenment") whether that paradigm is
actually consistent with the way God has structured spiritual progress
here. I think the current downturn will reveal the limitations of the
"more evolved = more money" assertion.

I'm on my third guru now (definitely could be accused of "window
shopping" in the spiritual domain!), and the focus of my spiritual
practice is trying to "get it right" in my simple daily relationships
with others. We all have an absolutely huge set of interconnections
with others from past lives, and if we can "get it right" in even one
interaction, it has the effect of loosening and lifting all the ties
we have with others. My present teacher states that one cannot really
become enlightened on ones own; we all help loosen and dissolve one
another's samskaras through love.

Cam