--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@...>
wrote:
> Sometimes I can weird myself out by thinking: How did all this come
> together so perfectly that now I am sitting in a condo on Mustang
> Island enjoying the internet?  Then again, I can think of all the
> things that didn't come out so perfectly.  But the fact that nature
> appears to operate within a set of rules is intensely fascinating and
> mysterious.

Hey, consider this:  The water pump is thought to be the reason for
the start of the Industrial Revolution because it made pumping out
mines easy and ores, salt, chemicals like sulfur, became cheap.

Now, here's the cool part: the Romans had all the technology to build
a water pump 2,000 years earlier, but it just never got invented
despite metallurgy and manufacturing being up to the task if someone
had had the concept come to them.

History is replete with this stuff.  Mendel's pea plant experiments
went unnoticed for 30 years for instance, and think of all the gizmos
that didn't require much technology to create, say, the Hula Hoop, the
Yo-Yo, the Frisbie, the yoke for horses, military use of gunpowder,
etc. -- they just didn't get manifested -- no reason for it except the
serendipity of chance favoring a prepared mind.

Edg

Edg