http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/6247418.html

MUMBAI, India — This tangled neighborhood of pieced-together shacks
along a railroad track seems an unlikely residence for movie stars.
But here is where two of the child stars of the hit movie "Slumdog
Millionaire" live, amid the rusted tin lean-tos in the shadow of this
city's high-rises for the wealthy.

The 8-year-old actors are at the center of controversy surrounding the
Golden Globes-winning rags-to-riches movie. The film hit a nerve in
India, launching soul-searching debates over the actors' compensation,
the movie's portrait of the country's vast poor and the title's use of
the word "dog," which some slum dwellers consider so offensive that
they ransacked a theater in Bihar's state capital of Patna, where the
film was being shown in India for the first time.

Emerging from her tiny, windowless shanty, the pixie-haired Rubina
Ali, who plays the young romantic interest early in the film, says she
loved making the movie and snapping photographs of Bollywood idols on
the set. For the first time in her life, she set foot inside the
city's many five-star hotels. But her father, Rafiq Ali Kureshi, a
carpenter who said he was a set builder for the film, broke his leg
during filming and has been unemployed since.

Living farther along the sludge-coated tracks is Azharuddin Ismail,
who played the young brother of the film's main character. His
family's illegal shanty was recently demolished, and his father is
suffering from tuberculosis. They live under a tarp. Much of his
salary from the film has been spent on his father's treatment and
feeding his family, he said.

"Uncle Danny has sent us to school and is paying for that and we are
happy," said Rubina, using a term of affection to refer to Danny
Boyle, the film's British director. "But it's still very tough for us."

"Slumdog Millionaire" — or "Slumdog Crorepati," as the Hindi-language
version is known — received 10 Oscar nominations and became the
modern-day fairy tale of the year in multiplexes across America. Amid
the film's U.S. box-office success — it had grossed almost $60 million
by last weekend — comes ever-rising scrutiny within India of Boyle and
the film's distributors. They are accused of not having done enough to
compensate some of the younger Indian actors and extras who worked on
the film, and have been called peddlers of the country's poverty.

Editorial writers and film critics have said that "Slumdog's"
popularity raises a larger issue: To what extent are filmmakers and
artists responsible for improving the lives and fixing the societal
dysfunction that made their movies possible? Or does that
responsibility ultimately rest with a society or government, once its
conscience has been pricked?

"We feel strongly that we want to do all we can for Rubina and
Azharuddin, especially long term. And we have started the process of
talking about what our responsibilities are. But at the end of the
day, it is just a movie," Boyle said in an interview. "In the end,
India will have to address its own issues. They are too big to be
solved by our efforts alone, although we can try."

Despite its recent economic growth, India still has the largest number
of malnourished children younger than 5 in the world — a total
estimated by the United Nations at 57 million — along with some of the
largest slums, especially here in the country's entertainment and
financial capital, where a vast stretch of low-lying tin roofs is the
first thing visitors see from airplanes on arrival.

Boyle has put both Rubina and Azharuddin in schools — their first time
to attend — and set up a trust fund that they can access once they
finish their education. The film's producers insist they have been
generous, paying them more than three times the average annual salary
of any adult in their neighborhood. The children's parents dispute
those figures.

This week, Britain's Daily Telegraph quoted the parents as saying
Rubina received 500 pounds, or roughly $730 at current exchange rates,
for filming and Azharuddin, $2,475. The film producers have said the
actors were paid more and given monthly and yearly stipends for
schooling, although they did not release specific amounts. A third
young actor, Ayush Mahesh Khedekar, comes from a middle-class family;
his compensation has so far not been an issue.

Filmed on a modest $15 million budget, the two-hour film tells the
harrowing tale of Jamal Malik, an orphan of Mumbai's teeming slum,
whose search for the girl he loves leads him to try to win India's
version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," hoping she will see him on
the popular show. He answers the questions correctly but is arrested
for cheating because no one believes a slum boy could have such knowledge.

The film, however, has a happy ending, with a classic Bollywood
song-and-dance extravaganza.

The filmmakers, though, get a more troubled ending.

Some in the Indian media have called the movie "a poverty tour" that
turns a profit by using India's slums as its cinematic backdrop.

Playing on 350 screens across India, the film grossed $2.8 million in
its opening weekend, according to Fox Star Studios — the box office
gross reduced because of rampant piracy. The film has also been
slammed because the main stars speak English, rare for slum dwellers
who don't have access to private schools that teach the language, a
point of tension here.

Nicholas Almeida, a social activist and slum dweller, has filed a
complaint in Indian court against Boyle and the Indian actors,
contending that the film's title is discriminatory and harks back to
British rule, "when they called Indians `dogs.'"

"Slumdog" is far from the first film that has been accused of
profiting from pain. The child stars of "The Kite Runner" said they
were paid $1,000 to $1,500 per week, even though Screen Actors Guild
members are paid $2,634 per week for principal speaking roles. Those
involved in making that film point to another comparison to justify
the actors' pay rate: Average per capita income in Afghanistan is
about $300 a year, according to the World Bank.

"It's a very delicate issue. Because we know Danny Boyle means well.
He was very good to the kids," said Krishna Poojari, co-founder of
Reality Tours and Travel, a company that uses part of its profits to
run a school that teaches English in the Mumbai slums featured in the
film. "If `Slumdog' wasn't such a big hit, what Boyle did for them
would have been OK. But it's making so much money around the world.
More has to be done."