Kirk,

You amaze me with how you can roll out the scholarship.

I find that the teachers of Advaita today are not getting over the bar that
Ramana and Nisargadatta set.  That's not a completely unfounded bias on my part
since I've studied quite hard and have read a lot of the neo-Advaitans' works,
but their writings leave me cold -- I don't feel the passion-borne-of-clarity
of Ramana and Nisargadatta.

I maintain that it's hard to find someone who seems to grok what Ramana and
Nisargadatta were "not talking about."

Commonly we find "teachers" who seem to think that the experience of "pure
Being" equates to "realizing the Absolute," but I think identification with a
soul (a body/mind system) is the primal psychic dynamic of ignorance...that
even residing in samadhi (an action: being) is not freedom from materiality --
even though it is freedom from attachment, it is not freedom from "projection
of identity into the realm of consciousness."

To me, getting to pure being is the jumping out of the box point where one can
finally stop identification and reside in identity without having to have a
doppelganger embodiment to "prove its existence."

I remember reading some Sci-Fi Fantasy novel in which some folks did a mystic
rite to "call back" some spiritual figure from "heaven," and his first words
we're something like: "This had better be important for you to challenge my
50,000 years of bliss."

To which I would have replied: "Don't bother me with your addiction to blissful
silence, get over it or suffer the fate of Indra Who must eventually die."

There is nothing to seek worth the seeking. Stop swimming with the gunas and
bragging about your enlightened dolphin pals.  It is not enough to merely
transcend into being, not enough to gain the physical set up that is so stress
free that one can maintain the residing within pure being -- that's merely
being perfect.

Whacha want, ya see, is to be imperfect too, and the only way to have it all is
to be that which CAN have it all -- the Absolute.  Only the Absolute can
"embrace-contain" evil and good without creating a paradox or dissonance.  Pure
being can have evil and good in balance, but only the Absolute can have "pure
being" without being thrown off its balance.  Pure being is sattvic by virtue
of all the gunas being in harmony, and, so, that virtue's a quality, and that's
the making for a dualistic-polarity, and that's a real challenge to the
definition of the Absolute, so our definition of the Absolute must necessarily
encompass more than "mere harmony," more than "mere perfection," more than
"mere sainthood."  The goal of existence is not "the having of a great meat
robot that never sins and is in harmony with the laws of nature."  That goal
should be "achieving the ability to finally stop Identity from flowing to the
incredibly small "all of creation" when it should be flowing into "all of
uncreated possibilities" too.  This stopping of that flow is an act of grace
alone -- a pure gifting -- not an achieving.  The enlightenment formula is:
reside in being, wait for grace.

I gotta stop here -- at some point even I cannot believe any reader has gotten
this far into my argument.  As I've insisted many times here, it is not a
matter of logical clarity to grasp what Ramana is talking about, it is a matter
of saturational clarity, it is a matter of growing the neurons' connections
until that clarity dawns.

I don't know that I have that clarity, but I sure have something deeper going
on than when I first read Ramana's words.  When I first read his stuff, (after
29 years of TM stuff) I simply didn't get it, but now, it's easy-peasy to me to
read any of his statements and see that he's always pointing towards "that
which cannot be pointed at."

Ramana's never a salesman for "The Brand New Chrysler Corinthian Leather Soul."
 He never espouses incarnation of any sort be it a saint or a god, or even The
God of gods such as Shiva.  Ramana would send you nowhere to find the Absolute
-- not to a prayer, not to Brahma's divine feet.  You can't get there from
here.  There's no directions to be given to get to where you are already at.

Yet, Ramana's self inquiry does the hat trick.  It puts the mind to death
instantly.

I love this stuff.

As Jim Carrey says in The Mask: Somebody stop me!

Exactly.

Or as Henny Youngman might have said: "Take my life, please."

Edg