--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <do.rf...@...> wrote:

<snip>

> "Promoting science isn't just about providing resources, it is also about
> protecting free and open inquiry," Obama said. "It is about letting
> scientists like those here today do their jobs, free from manipulation or
> coercion, and listening to what they tell us, even when it's inconvenient
> especially when it's inconvenient. It is about ensuring that scientific data
> is never distorted or concealed to serve a political agenda and that we make
> scientific decisions based on facts, not ideology."
>
> He said his memorandum is meant to restore "scientific integrity to
> government decision-making." He called it the beginning of a process of
> ensuring his administration bases its decision on sound science; appoints
> scientific advisers based on their credentials, not their politics; and is
> honest about the science behind its decisions.

<snip>

Science really suffered under Bush, including medical research.  One argument I
get when I work on promoting a national health care solution is that the US
will no longer be the lead in new health discoveries if we go to a national
system.  But the two are unrelated.  Many other countries, from France to
Russia, are pushing hard with research. Our government substantially reduced
funding of university research scientists, forcing them to take money from
special interests like drug companies.  Another economic stimulus:  finance
independent research.