FORWARDED:

Sender: davidshapiro...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:10:09 -0500
Subject: Letter to Obama on Food and Drug Purity and Safety

Please Read, Contact the White House and Forward to Other Friends

Dear supporters of pure foods and health care programs,

Last Saturday, President Obama gave his weekly video to the nation ( <http://www.whitehouse.gov>www.whitehouse.gov) in which he presented his new Director of the FDA and said that he wanted to make sure that no foods or drugs were unsafe or had harmful side effects.

The following letter has been written and reviewed by a team of Purusha and MUM Health Faculty to encourage the administration to consider switching from chemical agriculture to organic and from exclusive use of Allopathic remedies to all proven solutions that produce the effect with minimal or no side effects.

Please review our letter and change it as you wish.

We recommend sending this or a similar letter to all physicians and well-wishers you know to give a large message to the White House that this is the time to make this much needed change for the health of US citizens. Each recipient need only cut and paste the letter ( any version you choose) --or make up their own letter-- into the White House site ( <http://www.whitehouse.gov>www.whitehouse.gov) after hitting the "contact us"button in the upper right corner of the home page, and putting in their name and address.

If a large number of people contact the White House, we will gain momentum for the administration to support a purer quality of food and remedy.

Jai Guru Dev

David Shapiro

Sample letter:

-----------------------------

March 19, 2009

Dear President Obama,

I was very inspired to hear that you are working to make the FDA set a high standard, that foods and drugs should not create disease or harm those who take them. On March 14th you said:

"No parent should have to worry that their child is going to get sick from their lunch. Just as no family should have to worry that the medicines they buy will cause them harm. Protecting the safety of our food and drugs is one of the most fundamental responsibilities government has."

This is the time, with the structuring of the Food Safety Working Group, to review all scientific research on the effects of the foods and drugs we ingest, so that there are no harmful effects if at all possible in any of them.

The harmful effects of foods should be measured not only in terms of contamination, but also in the effects of chemical fertilizers on the human physiology and on livestock. A number of studies have found that chemical run-off from fertilizers is polluting our streams and air. We should also examine the effects on the crops themselves. We should research the possibility of incorporating organic and other chemical-free farming methods, which could reduce the health risks associated with chemically fertilized foods.

In addition, published studies by reputable agencies around the world indicate health risks from certain foods produced from or containing genetically modified organisms (GMO's) (1-4), risks that have never been evaluated by the FDA due to their policy of accepting these novel foods as "substantially equivalent," solely on the recommendation of the companies that vend them. Contrary to industry claims, no feeding studies have ever appeared in peer-reviewed journals documenting the safety of any of these products. We should require that all GMO foods be submitted to rigorous testing standards before allowing them to be marketed for human consumption either directly or indirectly (e.g., as livestock feed) to be sure we will not be harming our children, or anyone else, through unanticipated negative effects.

In the field of chemical medicines there are two main issues: the purity with which the drugs are prepared and the actual effects of the drugs. It is obvious that we should be careful in preparation of all chemical compounds used as drugs. But, what is less obvious is that, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), over 100,000 people die of the side effects of drugs each year, and medical errors and adverse reactions from "properly prescribed drugs" are, depending upon the study, as high as the third major cause of death each year (5). Therefore, we should search through all prevention modalities and all natural health modalities to find scientifically proven alternatives to side-effect producing drugs whenever possible.

On Saturday, December 20th, you made the historic, insightful commitment:

"The truth is that promoting science isn't just about providing resources-it's about protecting free and open inquiryŠ. It's about listening to what our scientists have to say, even when it's inconvenient-especially when it's inconvenient. Because the highest purpose of science is the search for knowledge, truth and a greater understanding of the world around us. " ( Italics added)

Please lead us in finding or returning to those foods that will be as pure as possible and those health regimes that will be as chemical-free and side-effect free as possible while remaining effective in addressing each given condition.

Sincerely,

Some Research:

1 Ian F. Pryme and Rolf Lembcke, "In Vivo Studies on Possible Health Consequences of Genetically Modified Food and Feed-with Particular Regard to Ingredients Consisting of Genetically Modified Plant Materials", "Nutrition and Health," 2003, Vol. 17, pp. 1-8.

2 R.I. Vazquez-Padron et al. "Cry1Ac Protoxin from Bacillus thuringiensis sp. Kurstaki HD73 Binds to Surface Proteins in the Mouse Small Intestine," "Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications"271 (2000): 54-58

3 Nagui H. Fares, Adel K. El-Sayed, "Fine Structural Changes in the Ileum of Mice Fed on Endotoxin Treated Potatoes and Transgenic Potatoes," "Natural Toxins" 6, no. 6 (1998): 219-233.

4 A long-term feeding study commissioned by the Austrian Agency for Health, managed by he Austrian Federal Ministry of Health, Family and Youth, and carried out by Veterinary University Vienna, confirms genetically modified (GM) corn seriously affects reproductive health in mice. Austrian Study: <http://www.ages.at/ueber-uns/presse/pressemeldungen/klarstellung-zu-neuen-er>http://www.ages.at/ueber-uns/presse/pressemeldungen/klarstellung-zu-neuen-er

5 J.A.M.A. calculates that Conventional Medicine Errors are the 3rd Leading Cause of Death in the U.S. In an article published by The Journal of the American Medical Association - Vol. 284. No. 4, pp. 483-485 - July 26, 2000 (Barbara Starfield, MD, MPH, Is US Health Really the Best in the World?)

------------------------------
David Shapiro
1901 Guild Drive
Fairfield, Iowa 52556