--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Citizens demand regulation of cell phone towers
> Opponents say they'll cancel their service with U.S. Cellular if the
> tower is constructed. Others have said they're prepared to move out of
> town. By LACEY JACOBS
> Ledger staff writer Published:  Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:42 PM CDT The
> Fairfield City Hall Council Chambers were packed Wednesday evening with
> citizens demanding greater regulation of cell phone tower siting inside
> city limits.
>
> Fairfield City Council Property Committee Chairman John Revolinski
> acknowledged research both proving and disproving the link of cell
> towers to cancers, tumors and other health problems.
>
> He prefaced the open forum, saying, "There are certainly a lot of
> studies that have shown harmful effects of [electromagnetic fields] from
> cell phone towers. The thing is these kinds of arguments would be more
> appropriate at a congressional hearing because ultimately the
> Communications Act of 1996 precludes the prohibition of cell phone
> towers based on radiation effects.
>
> "From our side, we're limited. If we use that as a reason to not
> allow towers to go up, we can be taken to court," he said.
>
> City attorney John Morrissey said although the city does not have the
> power to impose restrictive taxes or ban all towers outright, the city
> does have the ability to regulate cell towers based on aesthetics and
> height limitations.
>
> For many in the audience, that was not enough.
>
> At the center of the controversy is an 85-foot tower U.S. Cellular
> obtained a permit to build at 509 W. Depot Ave. Doug Greenfield reported
> negotiations — involving Mayor Ed Malloy and U.S. Cellular — to
> move the tower to the former Iowa Malleable site are under way; however,
> U.S. Cellular has refused to move the tower outside of city limits
> because the company is looking to improve call reception in the downtown
> area.
> snip,,
  Iowa malleable is three blocks west of the site and, still across the street
from a residential area- can't be much difference I would think.
  The students at MUM put up a windmill on an eighty foot pole and, caused
quite a problem by not having approval for being over thirty feet.
  They were fined and told a variance would be permanently unavailable.
  The cell tower is a much bigger deal and, I would think they must have gotten
a variance before starting so the whole thing is old news
.