<snip>
> Call me an idiot, or someone who has "missed the point,"
> but I really don't GET this quest for importance. Maybe
> I've read too much Zen poetry written by guys who not
> only were comfortable with their unimportance in the
> Grand Scheme Of Things, but managed to turn it into
> art. Maybe I'm just aware of my own limitations, and
> comfortable with the fact that I probably am NOT very
> important in the Grand Scheme Of Things. Maybe I'm just
> not as evolved as the folks who believe that they saved
> planet Earth from imminent destruction by bouncing on
> their butts on slabs of polyeurythane.

This is called the "More Unimportant Than Thou" Syndrome.

Paint all other spiritual seekers with a garish shade
of Self-Importance, then paint yourself a nice subdued
shade of Unimportance, and guess what? You'll "stand out"
very well indeed. In your own mind, at least.

Thought experiment: If some genie were to appear and
hand you the cure for cancer, and he told you all you
had to do to end cancer forever was to send it
anonymously to the National Institutes of Health, BUT
that once you'd sent it, you would die instantly and
never get to see the outcome nor get any recognition
for your sacrifice--nor even get to spend any time
congratulating yourself--would you do it?

I'd like to think I would. I'll bet many of us here
would do it in a heartbeat. Maybe even Barry would.

People who follow a famous spiritual teacher may well
do so because they think his/her teachings have the
greatest potential to do good in the world, not
because they want to Feel Important or think it's a
way to ensure their memory survives them. We'd be
perfectly happy to know that on our collective
tombstone will be engraved "Who?" and that even it will
crumble into dust in a few generations, if it means
there will be less suffering for humanity.