Most of the puja is blatantly religious. For example, the puja
contains the traditional shodashopachura pujana -  the puja of 16
offering. The puja of 16 offering is common in Hindu worship as a way
to "receive" or connect to a particular God. In this case the God is
the Guru, the Guru God or Guru Deva; "Guru Dev":

आवाहनं समर्पयामि
श्रीगुरु चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
aavaahanaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering invocation to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
आसनं समर्पयामि श्रीगुरु
चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
aasanaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering a seat to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
स्नानं समर्पयामि
श्रीगुरु चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
snaanaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering a bath to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
वस्त्रं समर्पयामि
श्रीगुरु चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
vastraM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering a cloth to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
चंदनं समर्पयामि श्रीगुरु
चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
cha.ndanaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering sandal paste to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
अक्शतान् समर्पयामि
श्रीगुरु चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
akshataan samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering full unbroken rice to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I
bow down.
पुष्पं समर्पयामि
श्रीगुरु चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
pushhpaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering a flower to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
धूपं समर्पयामि श्रीगुरु
चचरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
dhuupaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering incense to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
दीपं समर्पयामि श्रीगुरु
चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
diipaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering light to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
अच्मनियम् समर्पयामि
श्रीगुरु चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
achmaniyam samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering water to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
नैवेद्यं समर्पयामि
श्रीगुरु चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
naivedyaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering fruit to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
आच्मनीयं समर्पयामि
श्रीगुरु चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
aachmaniiyaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering water to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
ताम्बूलं समर्पयामि
श्रीगुरु चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
taambuulaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering betel leaf to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
श्री फलं समर्पयामि
श्रीगुरु चरण कमलेभ्यो नमः
shrii phalaM samarpayaami shriiguru charaNa kamalebhyo namaH
Offering coconut to the lotus feet of the blessed guru, I bow down.
उपचारस् - upachaaras