> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Maharishi often invited questions. I never had a chance
> > to ask him anything directly, but I do remember driving
> > my SCI teacher, Tom Miller, crazy with questions to the
> > point of detecting, occasionally, a slight sputter of
> > frustration. I love how he put up with me but it never
> > entered my mind that I should quit TM because I wasn't
> > satisfied with his answers.
>
> I loved residence courses and advanced lectures
> because of the chance to ask questions, and I asked a
> zillion of 'em. Some of the answers were satisfying,
> some weren't. If I wasn't able to pry an answer out of
> the teacher that made sense to me, I'd ask the same
> question on the next course or at the next lecture.
>
> And often I'd get a better response. With all the
> yammering about "rote answers" here, my experience
> was that the better teachers all had their own "spin"
> on how to answer a question, drawing on their own
> experience and insight and figuring out different
> ways to explain things.
>
> I had the distinct sense that they loved having the
> opportunity to answer a meaty question that made
> them think.

I think they call that the Socratic Method of teaching...where the student
primes the teacher, with questioning, until deeper knowledge is revealed...
I remember Maharishi saying that it was the questions that would bring out more
knowledge...
That's my sense of what makes a good teacher, as compared to someone who
doesn't know WTF, they are talking 'bout!
Sort of like the Bankers on Wall St....
They are very bad teachers, in everyone's book, except their own.
R.G.
R.G.