--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <jpgil...@...> wrote:

> Comment inserted below...
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <rick@> wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
> > > <mailto:FairfieldLife%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rick Archer" wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > [I wrote:]
> > > Which (as I've pointed out before) is virtually
> > > meaningless without context (both of the quote
> > > itself and how MMY was using it).
> > >
> > > To claim that this quote in and of itself, without
> > > those contexts, constitutes an "admission" by MMY
> > > that TM involves effort is just off the wall.
> > >
> > [Rick wrote:]
> > > The context was that MMY was saying that TM does involve
> > > a sort of effort, but that it is such a gentle effort
> > > that we don't use the term effort. Thought is effortless
> > > once it starts flowing, but if we're thinking about
> > > one thing and need to be thinking about another, (e.g.,
> > > we're looking out the window and we should be listening
> > > to the lecture), some will is involved in shifting the
> > > attention back. We all know the analogy of the attention
> > > spontaneously shifting to the more pleasing melody, but
> > > it doesn't always work that way. The mind may prefer
> > > daydreaming to coming back to the mantra, but
> > > nonetheless, we apply gentle effort, an act of will, to
> > > come back to the mantra.
> >
> > This appears, then, to be a matter of "exception
> > handling," when we're aware we aren't attending to the
> > mantra but don't want to go back to it.
> >
> > You say, "If we're thinking about one thing and need
> > to be thinking about another...some will is involved
> > in shifting the attention back."
> >
> > But you left out a step: first we have to become aware
> > that we're not thinking about what we "should" be
> > thinking about. For that to happen, the previous
> > train of thought has to come to an end for long enough
> > for that recognition to arise. You can't have two
> > different thoughts at the same time.
>
> Judy, about this statement that one
> cannot have two different thoughts
> simultaneously: Have you never had
> thoughts and mantra together? Or
> thoughts and sutras? Or, outside of
> meditation, thoughts of one thing
> while looking at another?
>
> It's an accepted part of TM practice
> that we have multiple thoughts all the time.
> There's an instruction for that situation
> in the checking notes. But TM teaching
> aside, it's a common experience, is it not?

snip,
  When two people have the same thought, whose thought is it?
  are thoughts sent to us or do we make them up as we go?
   I am curious as when I was about ten, I noticed a small (meaningless) sound
going around in my head as I would be going to sleep which had the same affect
as the one I received at  initiation twenty odd years later.
   It was unsolicited which would mean that it was sent (I think).
 I would think that if you think in pictures and situations as well as words,
you must be covering a lot of thoughts at once.
   Maybe meditating off and on for sixty odd years would account for the odd
outlook?   N.