do.rflex wrote:
> Under the new guy:

"Let's not mince words. It's doubtful that President Obama's
administration was unaware of the rape bill.

It's more likely that they are intent on sticking by Karzai
and supportive of whatever he needs to do to get re-elected,
Secretary Clinton's rhetoric about elevating women's rights
in foreign policy during her confirmation hearing aside.

This kind of ends-justify-the-means foreign policy is
essentially realpolitik revisited - the exact kind of
short-term "great game" thinking that created the Taliban
itself.

It's a disgrace and an embarassment to Obama's entire
Afghanistan policy, and the domestic economic crisis is no
excuse for such a craven failure to stand up for the values
we purport to uphold."

Read more:

'Mayor Karzai signs pro-rape bill in Afghanistan, scapegoats
the Shi'a'
Posted by Aziz Poonawalla
City of Brass, Tuesday March 31, 2009
http://tinyurl.com/d5aan4