> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > By comparison at least three groups I know of --
> > > Mindfulness Meditation, Sahaja Meditation and
> > > Vipassana Meditation -- teach FOR FREE and
> > > always have. They don't look at what they do as
> > > a way of making money; the TMO does.

> > > The groups mentioned above are not trying to
> > > recruit people into their cult and finding them-
> > > selves unable to do so without marketing to kids.
> >
> > If the groups you mentioned teach for free, why are they
> > not capable of implementing a program to teach as many
> > kids in the schools as the TMO is willing and able to do?
>
> You keep evading the point in an attempt to
> obfuscate, Raunchy.
>
> The **TM organization** was not capable of
> creating such a program. They had to get
> someone to do it for them.
>
> Their *theoretical* involvement in this pro-
> gram consists of providing their services as
> PAID OUTSIDE CONTRACTORS to the David Lynch
> Foundation, at a cost of $600 per head. That
> is (on the average) 10X more than the average
> beginner's meditation course costs in America.
> And many others are taught for free.
>
> So it's not really as if the TM movement GAVE
> A DAMN about these kids. They just see this
> as a way to allow someone they normally would
> never associate with (David Lynch) to do all
> the P.R. and "heavy lifting" for them, while
> they sit back and rake in $600 a head for each
> student instructed.
> Stop trying to portray the TMO as somehow noble
> in this endeavor. David Lynch might be, Paul
> McCartney and Ringo and the others might be.
> But the TMO is in it for the same reason they
> have *always* been into it -- for the money and
> to grow the cult. IMO, of course.
>
> > I just googled Sahaja Meditaion and here's what is got:
> > http://www.sahajayoga.com.au/index.php
>
> I know nothing about it. I just Googled "meditation
> for free." TM did not come up in the list. Surprise.

It's interesting you're willing to crap shoot a google without finding out if
the organizations teaching the meditation techniques you suggest don't somehow
wiggle your whiskers about money, cult and religion, when this is such an all
consuming concern of yours about TM. Thanks for the tip.

> > Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi is a very nice grandmotherly
> > Indian lady who founded her meditation technique in 1970.
> > This is a sample of her teachings:
> > http://www.chicagoyoga.org/meditation-room/2/1
> >
> > "Place the left hand in front of your lower abdomen,
> > palm facing the body. Raise the left hand up vertically,
> > until it reaches a position above your head. While the
> > left hand is ascending, the right hand rotates around it
> > clockwise, until both hands are above the head. Use both
> > hands to tie a knot. Repeat three times and the third time
> > tie the knot three times, fixing your attention and the
> > Kundalini energy above the seventh chakra."
> >
> > Try it. Pat your head and rub your belly. Fun, isn't it?

O.K. Let's back things up a little.

Barry you wrote #214244:
> As for the program itself, I wish it well. I really
> do think that kids would benefit from learning a
> simple form of meditation while still kids. That the
> form of meditation being proposed is TM I think is
> problematic because I honestly believe that the way
> it's taught and explained in followup talks is
> religously-based and thus inappropriate for American
> schools given the Constitution and the clear wishes
> of America's founding fathers. But the courts will
> decide that."

It's quite a concession on your part to say, "As for the program itself, I wish
it well." Thank you for that, perhaps you harbor some faint hope that TM will
actually help kids. I hope so as well. However, your well wishing comes with a
huge BUT. Meditation can be helpful to kids, BUT, not TM because in your
OPINION TM has the taint of money, cult, and religion.

When I asked what other meditation program has the resources to accomplish a
plan as far reaching as the TMO, you suggested three free meditations. I doubt
any of them has ever proffered a program equal to the goals of the TMO for the
schools. Maybe they don't charge for meditation but they usually raise money
for workshops, books and tapes, CD's DVD's, retreats and an assortment of
meditation aids, cushions, shawls, beads, and trinkets. Every organization
figures out a way to make money or it doesn't survive or have the ability to
promote itself.

Besides the objection you have to TM raising money, which other organizations
do as well, the organizations that teach the meditation techniques you suggest
probably have the other taints you object to as well: cult and religious roots.

So there you have it. Horse a piece. However, the TMO can and will have a
successful TM program for thousands of kids in American schools while the other
meditation techniques you mentioned will not. Don't you have to ask yourself
why?