> wrote:
> >
> > I don't believe that.  It is still hypocritical
> > considering... let's call it a more neutral "outside
> > the box, male bonding."  Maharishi was very clear that
> > he wanted a personal relationship with Guru Dev and
> > contrived a scheme to make it happen.  He was not
> > looking for a way to sneak into his Vedic study class.
> > You are drawing different conclusions than I am from
> > the few facts we do know about the guy.
>
> That's a pretty standard form of sadhana in India. It's
> called Guru-Bhakti Yoga. In that context, it's not at
> all out-of-the-box. Google it; there's over 15,000 hits.
> And the way he described how he went about it in that
> one tape that's been transcribed and posted a number of
> times is in very close accord with the traditional
> formulations.

What Judy is trying to obscure is that
Curtis and I are CHALLENGING that "trad-
itional formulation." We think it's a
"cover" for something more mundane, the
love of one man for another man.

The "traditional formulation" is a way
of pretending that guru-bhakti love is
something *different* than the love of
one man for another man. It's "loftier,"
more "spiritual," and all about God,
not flesh.

I don't think it is. I think it's just a
way to not only excuse what the SAME
society felt was inexcusable, but elevate
it and put it on a pedestal as something
noble and admirable.

The "traditional formulation" of guru wor-
ship and devotion is ON ONE LEVEL a way
that men who are attracted to other men
can do it and GET AWAY WITH IT. It's
a social structure that allows them to
get all weepy and blissed-out and bhakti-
fied about another man not only without
being dragged out into an alley and left
to die in a pool of blood for doing it,
but getting *praised* for doing it.

The guru-bhakti "traditional formulation"
is a way of turning socially unacceptable
male-to-male behavior into socially
acceptable male-to-male behavior. Men in
ashram situations are *praised* and put
on pedestals for the SAME behavior with
regard to gushing over other men that
would get them beaten to a pulp in Texas,
or even in Bombay.

ALL that Curtis and I are doing is pointing
out the *artificiality* of this "traditional
formulation" and looking at it a different
way than the "tradition" looks at it.

And Judy's RESPONSE to that intellectual
questioning and "out of the box" thinking?
Attack! Vilify! Call the "out of the box"
thinkers names. Accuse them of everything
she can possibly think of.

And WHY?

Because we not only thought "out of the box,"
but suggested that the "box" was more than
a little artificial and self-serving. That's
all.

I have NOT ONCE in these discussions suggested
that Maharishi was gay and *acted on it*. I
believe that he was so sexually repressed that
he would never in a million years have been
able to do that. But I *DO* believe that there
were *elements* of "man-love" involved in his
obsessional relationship with Guru Dev, and
that one of the reasons he was drawn to the
ashram life was that its "traditional formu-
lation" allowed him to express what he was
really feeling about other men in a way that
was IN THAT CONTEXT socially acceptable.

And not ONLY socially acceptable...he could
get "brownie points" and "strokes" for doing
what would have gotten him beaten to a pulp
in Bombay. The more flowery the language he
used to describe Guru Dev, the more he was
praised. The more he gushed over him and
treated him as if he was the master in a
master-slave relationship, the more Maharishi
was seen as a "good student," an example of
bhakti, a veritable budding Trotakacharya
to Guru Dev's Shankara.

I don't know about Curtis, but I'm really just
playing with ideas here. I think that ON ONE
LEVEL the guru-bhakti "traditional formulation"
is a *cover* for something. And that on that
same level, the men who are drawn to such
environments are "looking for cover."

Judy is so offended by me and Curtis expressing
these ideas that's she's trying her best to
vilify us. In words, she's acting out the counter-
part of dragging us out behind the bar and beat-
ing us to a pulp because we've done something
that she considers "socially unacceptable."

Judy is ideaphobic in the same way that some
men are homophobic.

The homophobic men are so challenged and threat-
ened by men who act "outside the box" that they
feel the need to attack them.

Ideaphobic Judy is so challenged and threatened
by men who *think* "outside the box" that she
feels the need to attack them.