> Good morning Unc and others. I'll keep my postings brief and
> few today. I don't want to spend my whole holiday at the computer
> and I don't need to have the last word. But Unc, I think you are
> looking at my post from  yesterday in a light of conspiracy, to
> change the subject to the past. Let me assure you that was never
> my intention.

It wasn't my intention to suggest it was.  I know
plenty of liberals who, when the Now gets too chal-
lenging, dive for the safety of the past and of
their (and others') attachments to the past.  It's
just one of those things we *all* do from time to
time.

<snip>
> I simply took a poke at Kerry, using him as  an example of a war
> casualty and the nature of his wounds.

Yes, but you *also* brought up, in the same series
of thread, FDR and Clinton, and took equal "pokes"
at them.  No "conspiracy," but do you see a trend?

<snip>
> I did read your  post regarding "Politics in the rearview mirror"
> and found a lot of wisdom  in it, although I think you were still
> caught up in some of the BS you tried to warn Democrats against.

Almost certainly.  :-)

> Letting go of the past and looking to the future would be a
> helpful trick for the democrats to learn.

I think it'd be a huge step if they just focused on
the present.  :-)

> So many of the ideas that democrats come up with sound good
> idealistic and wonderful, but everybody knows those ideas
> are going to hit them in the pocket book one way or another
> and they go over like a led balloon.

Self-interest in the present, in lieu of possible
programs that could benefit the whole population
in the future.  It's the biggest problem that
*either* party has to deal with.

> Running a candidate that would appeal to a broader base
> would also be helpful and I don't see too many of those
> lining up to run. Somebody like Evan Bhye(sorry for the
> spelling) would appeal to a lot more people closer to
> the center than somebody like Hillary, who I admit would
> definitely energize the base.

I'm not really familiar with any of the real "contenders"
in the Democratic Party these days, being in France, but
I certainly haven't stumbled across *anyone* with even
an ounce of charisma or who radiates a strong sense of
internal ethics.  Sad.

> But the base of the democratic party as it is now will
> never have power again.

I tend to agree with you.  I find them basically irrelevant.

> So if you find me changing the subject on a thread, please
> don't look at it as some "trick". I think we all digress now
> and then.

I didn't before and I won't in the future.  What I felt
was more of a "tendency" to grab for the past when the
present gets gnarly.  We *all* do this, and we *all*
digress from time to time.  So what about that comet
we bombed in space, eh?  :-)

Unc