--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, grate.swan <no_re...@...> wrote:

> This and an article I posed last week indicate that Spain
> is leading Europe in a nose-diving economy. Unemployment
> above 20% led to massive social upheavals and totalitarian
> regimes in the past.
>
> And now from our News-FFL reporter, live from Spain:
>
> Turq, do you see signs and effects of the high unemployment
> and generally diving economy from your perch in Spain?

Duh. Of course. Many businesses have gone under,
many more fear they will, and many of the folks
I used to see in the cafes now can't afford them.
I am fortunate that I don't live on the Spanish
economy, and that the company that pays me has
signed a contract to continue doing so for several
more years. ( Sorry to disappoint you, Nabby. )

But from my point of view there is not a chance
in hell that the Spanish would react by allowing
a "totalitarian regime" to slide into power as a
result. There are few families in Spain who did
not have a member of their families murdered by
the last totalitarian regime. Living under Franco
for 40 years has IMO made Spain "Fascism-proof."

"Recession-proof," no. "Depression-proof," no.
Just not likely to fall for a "quick fix" that
involves another tyrant.