I have put the phrase "transcendental meditation" into Google and it indicates
approximately 640,000 results are available (I presume this is worldwide in the
English language). Even given the small number of new meditators since the late
70's, this seems like very few results.

For a comparison of sorts, I put in the term "scientology" and Google indicates
over 6 million results.

I have no idea how the number of results are generated.  Anybody have any idea
if the numbers of results have any meaning regarding current awareness of TM by
English-speaking persons worldwide?

Science