--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunsh...@...> wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Hugo wrote:
>
> > Since 1974 the Maharishi University of Management (formerly
> > Maharishi International University) has opened it's doors
> > to students from around the world. I have come to have a
> > look round both at it's campus and a new township that has
> > been built just outside, Maharishi Vedic City.
> >
> > I look in on the office of one Dr Fred Travis, who has
> > got his daughter wired up with dozens of electrodes to a
> > computer.
>
> Poor kid!
>
> > He is monitoring her EEG activity as she goes in
> > and out of TM states. He explains to me what these data on
> > the screen reveal, but I'm ashamed to say the theory has all
> > gone out of my head. I seem to recall being surprised that
> > the claim for TM is not that the brain relaxes but that it
> > becomes more active. I may have got that wrong. I have never
> > met any regular TM practitioner who has struck me as having
> > a mind of any special speed, dynamism or creative energy,
>
> Hmmm...clearly he hasn't met the right people!
>
> > but I have no doubt the practise gives pleasure and rewards
> > to many.
>
> Well, to an increasing few, at least.
>
> > When the electrodes are planted in my brain I cannot
> > tell what is different about the readings, but Dr Travis,
> > whose qualifications are real enough, assures me that these
> > experiments prove something. He is less comfortable when
> > I ask him about yogic flying and other aspects of Vedic
> > "science". Ah well.
>
> I wonder why...
>
> > Next I wander round the campus, noting the Maharishi Tower
> > of Invincibility. There are almost no signs of the original
> > Parsons College. Despite being on the National Register of
> > Historical Places, nearly all of it was bulldozed to make way
> > for new buildings that accorded with Maharishi Sthapatya Veda,
> > which is a kind of Vedic Feng Shui. A few years before he died
> > the Maharishi informed the world that it was vital for the
> > whole planet to live and work in buildings constructed according
> > to Sthapatya. It seems to come down to everything facing east
> > and looking like a ghastly impersonal hotel.
>
> He's got that one right.  Impersonal hits the nail
> on the head.  Not only looks but feels that way too.
>
> > I am in a thoroughly bad mood by this time. I wouldn't mind
> > all this nonsense if it didn't arrogate half-understood
> > principles of Western science, attempting to marry it's
> > 'philosophy' with the ideas behind quantum mechanics,
> > probability, chaos theory and other essentially mathematical
> > and empirically derived concepts. You cannot simultaneously
> > insult western thinking and use it's precepts to 'prove' your
> > moronic theories: not without losing my respect at least.
>
> Another excellent point...I like this guy.
>
> > I go to the dining hall and eat with some of the students.
> > The food at least is excellent, all organic, all frsh, none
> > processed or frozen. I sit with some students, mostly muslims,
> [...]
It's a shame he couldn't have visited there before BB...(before Bevan)
Back in the day, he wouldn't have written this way, I am absolutely sure...
I remember one time we were doing some gardening...on campus,
And Jerry Jarvis, in his laid back way, would hang with us...
A very kind soul, he is...
'Those were the days, my friend...we thought they'd never end'
R.G.