wrote:

> Hugo wrote:
> > They lose me with Xenu though.
> >
> You mean, compared to Vishnu or Krishna
> in TM mythology?
>
> How, exactly, did L. Ron lose you with
> Xenu, but the Marshy convinced you to
> believe in Vishnu or Krishna?

Because it sounds like a bad sci-fi novel.
And if I'd spent many thousands of pounds on
auditing and many years devotedly serving the
church only to be told a tale as tall as that
I'd be mighty pissed off!

Marshy never convinced me to believe in
Krishna, Vishnu or anything else really.
I'm an experiential kind of guy and not
given to accepting the existence of gods
I can't see. (That sounds more rigid and
depressing than it is)

> Why would one guy be more believable than
> the other - because of the personality
> of L. Ron and the Marshy or due to you
> being logical or reasonable?

Out of the two I would say Xenu is the
more believable because he purportedly
came from another planet rather than some
other 'spiritual' dimension. But then
the Xenu myth is all about re-incarnation
too which fails to convince me, but I'll
still take aliens over spirits any day.

> It's pretty apparent that Scientology has
> adapted many Indian myths in it's
> cosmology.

Very many, and to a curious 18 year old
it's all very interesting but with the wider
reading that comes with age you can see where
he got it from, and I don't believe a word of
his "engram" theory of mental ill health and
spiritual development. But resolving unconscious
stress is what the scientologists clearly do
(and do it well) so I can see why people get
caught up in it. Just like learning TM, many
people may start for the stress reduction and
get caught up in the supporting mythology.
And good for them if it makes them happy.

> > Boy oh boy, do they.
> >
> But more importantly, how did you find
> out about Xenu? According to L. Ron, you
> would be dead by now for reading secret
> religious scriptures.

Please don't tell them I know, I'm begging you..

> From what I've read, the Xenu story is
> part of the Church of Scientology's secret
> 'Advanced Technology', and normally is
> only revealed to members who have already
> contributed large amounts of money!
>
> So, I assume that you've given lots of
> money to both L. Ron and the Marshy,
> but why?

Funnily enough I never gave a penny to the
TMO either and I know all their secrets too!
I'm just a nosey git.