On May 21, 2009, at 1:13 PM, off_world_beings wrote:

Vaj has no proof for anything he says. Which do you prefer, myth or science?

Hi Offworld:

As you know, I'm a big fan of good quality meditation research, esp. authentic scientific research into higher states of consciousness, samadhi, etc., neuroscience and meditation, cell biology and meditation, and so on. So you should stop making false statements about 'what I believe' as a way to mislead people. Just because other dishonest people do it, doesn't mean you should too. If they jumped off a bridge, would you?

I think we're very fortunate to have some world class scientists now investigating meditation. It gives us a much better idea of what's good research and what is or has been bad science, exaggerations or simply misleading. It remains important that scientists do not stoop to brand-name favoritism or science-as-a-marketing scam. The underlying motivation needs to be pure. That's why major reviews like the Univ. of Alberta study and the Cambridge Handbook of Consciousness (the current major textbook on the subject) are so helpful: they clue us in to where the cutting edge is headed and conversely where the weak points are.