I just uploaded the Coplin dissertation material to
the Files section. It's under Miscellaneous Writings.

I can't figure out how to make the system send an
announcement to the group, so perhaps someone could
tell Vaj, as he claims not to read my posts.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On May 29, 2009, at 10:59 PM, Marek Reavis wrote:
>
> > Jay Randolph Coplin, in his dissertation on the
> > history of the SRM, writes that in an interview
> > with the then-Shankaracharya of Jyotir Math,
> > Vasudevananda (the successor to Guru Dev's
> > successor, Shantanand, and predecessor of the
> > current Shankaracharya, Vishnudevananda, in
> > Shantanand's line) -- Vasudevananda told Coplin
> > that it was the Jyotir Math Peeth, itself, that
> > bestowed the title "Maharishi".
>
> Interesting, nothing I've read by Coplin recently
> includes that

And your recent reading of Coplin was what, exactly?

Because it seems he's never actually published anything,
you see.

Obviously you never bothered to read the chapters from
his dissertation on the Web.

Note 49, chapter 3:

This is given by the titles "Maharishi Bala
Brahmachari Mahesh Yogi Maharaj" by which he was
addressed at the Spiritual Development Conference in
Cochin (1955). When asked about the sources of
Maharishi's status designations, the Shankaracharya
of Jyotir Math replied, "From his sadhana(discipline
for spiritual growth). Given by the society. He
followed the teachings, sadhana, devoted completely
to Guru Dev's teachings. He became equal in sorrow
and pain and happiness. Thus the people realized him,
that he has achieved the qualities of a Maharishi. It
is an honor by the pitha(matha), and by the society."
(Interview of June 11, 1983, at Joshimath)

, nor
> does it appear to be mentioned in any official movement
> history. Being a hardcore TB, I consider Coplin a
> questionable source.

Naturally!

 It also seems
> questionable for a low caste person in the Shankaracharya.

According to the New York Times, the titles "Maharishi"
and "Yogi" are indeed given to persons of Maharishi's
caste.

<snip>
> It would be interesting to see this manuscript.
> I've notice a number of questionable claims from
> Coplin on the web.

Really? What claims were these, Vaj, that you "notice"
on the Web?

> It's curious that the manuscript can be found nowhere.

Ah, but it can. Just, apparently, not by you.