Re: Get Rid of the For-Profit Health Insurance Industry

Absolutely
Almost 50 million people in the USA have no health insurance ! ! !
That is more people than the whole population of Spain !

The US state of Health Care system is a National Security threat to the
USA.

OffWorld

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <do.rf...@...> wrote:

> "Private insurers necessarily waste health dollars
> on things that have nothing to do with care: overhead,
> underwriting, billing, sales and marketing departments
> as well as huge profits and exorbitant executive pay.
> Doctors and hospitals must maintain costly administrative
> staffs to deal with the bureaucracy.
>
> "Combined, this needless administration consumes one-third
> (31 percent) of Americans' health dollars."
>
> + +
>
> -Single-Payer National Health Insurance- is a system in which a single
public or quasi-public agency organizes health financing, but delivery
of care remains largely private.

> Currently, the U.S. health care system is outrageously expensive, yet
inadequate. Despite spending more than twice as much as the rest of the
industrialized nations ($7,129 per capita), the United States performs
poorly in comparison on major health indicators such as life expectancy,
infant mortality and immunization rates.

> Moreover, the other advanced nations provide comprehensive coverage to
their entire populations, while the U.S. leaves 45.7 million completely
uninsured and millions more inadequately covered.

> The reason we spend more and get less than the rest of the world is
because we have a patchwork system of for-profit payers.

> Private insurers necessarily waste health dollars on things that have
nothing to do with care: overhead, underwriting, billing, sales and
marketing departments as well as huge profits and exorbitant executive
pay. Doctors and hospitals must maintain costly administrative staffs to
deal with the bureaucracy.

> Combined, this needless administration consumes one-third (31 percent)
of Americans' health dollars.

> Single-payer financing is the only way to recapture this wasted money.
The potential savings on paperwork, more than $350 billion per year, are
enough to provide comprehensive coverage to everyone without paying any
more than we already do.

> Under a single-payer system, all Americans would be covered for all
medically necessary services, including: doctor, hospital, preventive,
long-term care, mental health, reproductive health care, dental, vision,
prescription drug and medical supply costs.

> Patients would regain free choice of doctor and hospital, and doctors
would regain autonomy over patient care.

> Physicians would be paid fee-for-service according to a negotiated
formulary or receive salary from a hospital or nonprofit HMO / group
practice. Hospitals would receive a global budget for operating
expenses. Health facilities and expensive equipment purchases would be
managed by regional health planning boards.

> A single-payer system would be financed by eliminating private
insurers and recapturing their administrative waste.

> Modest new taxes would replace premiums and out-of-pocket payments
currently paid by individuals and business. Costs would be controlled
through negotiated fees, global budgeting and bulk purchasing.

> ~ ~ Much more at link including Single Payer Facts and Myths & FAQ
that debunk the usual self-serving for-profit Insurance Industry talking
points
http://www.pnhp.org/facts/single_payer_resources.php

> ALSO at link:
>
> The Case Against For-Profit Care
>
> Overview: The High Costs of For-Profit Care
> Editorial by David Himmelstein, MD and Steffie Woolhandler, MD in the
Canadian Medical Association Journal

> For-Profit Hospitals Cost More and Have Higher Death Rates
> Devereaux, PJ "Payments at For-Profit and Non-Profit Hospitals," Can.
Med. Assoc. J., Jun 2004; 170

> Devereaux, PJ "Mortality Rates of For-Profit and Non-Profit
Hospitals," Can. Med. Assoc. J, May 2002; 166

> For-Profit Hospitals Cost More and Have Higher Administration Expenses
> Himmelstein, et al "Costs of Care and Admin. At For-Profit and Other
Hospitals in the U.S." NEJM 336, 1997

> For-Profit HMOs Provide Worse Quality Care
> Himmelstein, et al "Quality of Care at Investor-Owned vs.
Not-for-Profit HMOs" JAMA 282(2); July 14, 1999

> For-Profit Medicare Plans Cost 11 Percent More Than Traditional
Medicare