<mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> > , "shempmcgurk" <shempmcgurk@>

<mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> > , TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > [snip]
> > >

> > > Before you open your big, fat mouth about things you know nothing
> > about, why don't you actually do some research?
> > >
> > > Show me one year since WWII when half of the GDP was spent on
> > "defense". >
> >
> > I have to agree with Turq on this. If you take Social Security out
of
> > the equation, then almost every year more than half was spent on
> > military. Social Security trust fund was inserted into the equation
by
> > the Republicans in the 1960's to try to hide their exorbitant
defense
> > spending. It has no business being in there because it is a trust
find
> > and not the Government's to use, spend, or touch.
> >
> > OffWorld
> >

> You guys are mixing up "GDP" with "Federal Budget".
>
> They are NOT the same thing.  The entire federal budget even at the
exhorbitant $3.8 trillion is but 27% of the 14.3 trillion GDP in 2008
for the United States. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal> )

> And, yes, I may agree with you vis a vis the Social Security spending
inclusion.  Both Social Security and Medicare are essentially insurance
programs.  Their contributions and benefits are taken and meted out
completely differently than all other spending and taxing by the federal
government and, as such, should be segregated from the budget.

> But defense is NOT about half of the budget even when SS and Medicare
are taken out.  See the following and do the math:>>

Looks like you need some math lessons. If you take out Social Security
and medicare are taken out, Defense is more than half of what is left.

Offorld