For years I've been using either fresh ginger or powdered ginger.  One of the
main uses has been to add some to a cup of whole milk in the morning -- along
with ground green cardamon and powdered cinnamon -- before boiling it.

Well, I was out of ginger the other day and wasn't close to the store where I
normally buy my powdered ginger, so I bought some at Sprouts which sells a wide
assortment of spices in any quantity you want (bulk).

When I used this supply from the new source, I noticed immediately that the
ginger smelled like...ginger ale!  And I mean exactly like it!

It got me wondering: how come the ginger I've been using up to now hasn't?

Which is the more genuine ginger?

Isn't it ironic that the smell of a processed food -- ginger ale -- has become,
for me, the measuring rod for whether a "pure" food -- ginger, whether in
powdered or root form -- is the genuine article?  That is, "ginger ale smell"
is what I automatically think of as genuine ginger!   The default position has
become that the processed smell is automatically assumed to be the real deal!