Animation is very cool and very very time consuming.  That animation
was created with #D Studio Max by Discreet Software.  Check out their
web site for some very very cool stuff.  http://www.discreet.com/
My guess is that little animation took 60-100 hours to create.

I teach multimedia and 2D animatoin at an art school in LA.  There is
an animation department and what they can do is nothing short of
amazing.  What makes this woman's work so exceptional is her sense of
story which is what is usually missing.

I teach my students to program games using Flash which is a 2D
aniumation tool.  You can see some of their work at the following
link.  It is nowhere as good...but fun anyway.

http://bencollins.net/Pages/Brooks/ActionScript/ActionScriptMenu.htm

Ben