From: Alex Stanley <j_alexander_stan...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: TM critical site blocked for MUM students
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 8:34 PM

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2009, at 6:51 PM, Alex Stanley wrote:
>
> > Coyotes get a few percent of baby deer, but they really have
> > very little impact on deer populations.
>
> I wonder about that. Years ago I used to fly into a wilderness
> lake, bordering the Katahdin massif. In Maine we still have
> state registered guides and master guides and the owner of this
> camp was a Master Guide. This meant he could not only guide you
> to the best fishing and hunting spots and clean and dress any
> animal he might catch, he also had a keen awareness of nature
> having observed it living in the wild, off the grid for decades
> with his family. He'd witnessed personally the way coyote packs
> would chase deer onto the ice of a lake to collectively accomplish
> a kill. I've also witnessed packs take out the mature deer in my
> area (along with one of my cats in the fronts yard). Apparently
> what has happened is the coyotes in this region have inbred
> with the few remaining wolves. They're unusually large.

Some years ago, I witnessed a coyote chasing one of our cats up a tree, right
in the back yard. My policy is that on most of our 190 acres, the coyotes can
do whatever the hell they want, and if a cat gets caught out there, so be it.
But, right around the house, I have a zero tolerance policy for coyotes, and in
the past, I've shot a few of them. Our coyotes aren't very big.

> > And, guys who only hunt bucks also do nothing to control the
> > deer population (because one buck can service a huge number
> > of females.) Hunting does is what controls the population.
> > Most deer hunting states won't even give you a buck tag until
> > you've taken a certain number of does, but Iowa doesn't do that.
> > My sole interest in hunting deer is the meat, so I only hunt
> > does (buck meat is much less desirable).
>
> One has to wonder if the almost universal desire to "kill a
> buck" is a type of oedipal complex.

I let a friend of mine come out here to hunt, and he shot a buck last winter.
One reason he likes hunting out here, besides the fact that it is perfect deer
ground, is that I have a tractor with a front-end loader. I went out in the
tractor to scoop up his buck, and the stench of it nearly made me gag. The
fascination with trophy bucks completely escapes me.

> Have you read the book "In Defense of Hunting" by James A. Swan?
> He's an expert on sacred space and the sacred aspect of hunting.
> Show me a real hunter/huntress and I'll show you a man or woman
> with a very deep appreciation for the interconnectedness of life
> and reality.

No, I haven't read it. My perspective is that biologically, humans are
omnivores, and that from my own experience, a vegetarian diet is suboptimal for
my physiology. What isn't at all a consideration for me are any fear-based
religious dogmas. I don't regard diet type as having anything whatsoever to do
with spiritual awakening. As Rory remarked this afternoon, the Gita says to be
*without* the three gunas.

I do try to avoid factory farmed meat, so I buy some local, pasture raised
lamb, and I took up deer hunting. I still buy organic Smart Chicken at the
grocery store, which I'm sure is factory raised on grain, but I'm less fussy
about that because chickens naturally eat lots of seeds, so grain-fed chicken
doesn't bother me as much as grain-fed grazing animals. If local pastured
chicken becomes available, I'll buy it.