On Jun 25, 2009, at 11:21 AM, Duveyoung wrote:

Life is but a dream, and I say, keep it that way -- fuck seeing it as a nightmare.

I think you may be seeing the show through your own prejudices--and missing a key point of the show. The key point is: vampires are amoral not immoral. If they do behave immorally, it's because they make that decision. Like regular humans they decide what they want to eat. They can eat animals and other sources of blood (True Blood), not just human blood. In other words, vampires are the latest minority and being prejudiced against them for their choice of food source is just another form of prejudice. Bill represents a kind of watershed vampire in that he has never turned a person (into a vampire) without being forced to, since he was turned c. 1860. And since vampires are now "out of the casket", they must abide by the same laws all human life-forms do. Just like you or I, they cannot kill.

If you haven't watched the more recent shows you've probably missed that the human counterpart to immoral vampires are immoral fundamentalist Christians.