> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > The original may have said "one third of all prescriptions written
> > > for adults are for anti-depressants"...
> >
> > Very possibly.  That's why I wanted to see the
> > original quote (and possibly why Barry didn't
> > want me to be able to find it).
>
> See what I mean about stalking, folks?

Not really. From what I read, you cited a seemingly (to me) inflated
statistic of anti-depressant use. Judy appeared to express concern if
this figure was acurrate. I looked it up and found levels across
developed countries to be about 1/4 of what you cited. Do you feel
that I stalking you? I have been on the list for over 3 years.

A related issue is, even if the use of SSRI's etc was 30%, so what?
The implication, perhaps not intended by you, is that this would be
odd, crazy, an indication of social decadence. Perhaps even a sign of
raging drugged out bliss ninnies, tranquillized zombies, pervading
society. An observation deserving smug arrogance, or private snickering.

If 80% of society took vitamins, is that a sign that the majority of
society is "sick", handicaped, decrepid? An observation deserving or
snickering and smugness?

> This isn't
> about the number of people on antidepressants at
> all.  It's about finding some way to discredit
> Barry/Unc.  And this subject has been used to do
> so ever since it was brought up years ago on a.m.t.
> after I attended a talk by Helen Caldicott and she
> used this figure.  It may or may not be correct;
> at the time she cited Medecins sans frontieres,
> an organization that is firmly in the "not only
> are too many psychotropic drugs being prescribed,
> but the actual numbers prescribed are being hidden
> by the drug companies in their reporting" school
> of thought.

OK. Some of us have not followed the Judy/Unc affair for years. Some
of us don't care about it.

 > I don't know the answer.

Ok.  Then why spend so many lines discussing your uninformed views on
the topic?