Alex Stanley wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "davidpalmer108" <davidpalmer...@...>
> wrote:
>
>> Someone was recently suggesting that transcending occurs through
>> boredom. This is, of course, true - one is bored of more gross
>> experience, and heads to something more subtle. More refined
>> experience is always more attractive because it is more perfect,
>> has fewer blemishes.
>>

> That's not my experience at all. A lot of the people I know in FF are deeply
> interested in the subtle relative and celestial realms, and I'm the exact
> opposite. All that subtle stuff just bores me to no end.
I find it a little boring sometimes but that's because it seems to come
from a weakly taught perspective.   Also subtle experiences are often
just that experiences and meant to just be experiences.  They are
extremely difficult to put into words.  Recently one of the closest
expressions I've found which was probably way misinterpreted here was
the "other worldliness" of the vampires on "True Blood" though as of
late the Michelle Forbes character is even more representative of
tantric powers (though in a dark way and is based on some Greek mythical
character).

There is also a group here who seems to believe that if you have
practiced sadhana for many, many years you are no better off than the
flatlander bumps we bump into day to day in society.   Theoretically
nothing should be further from the truth.  Yes, that means even with TM
ones consciousness should have evolved considerably over the years.
Some people cushion this viewpoint as being elitist but my question is
"why did you practice meditation all these years if you weren't
interested in self-improvement?"  Inevitably you are going to wind up
levels above the consciousness of the average individual.  But it is a
compassionate situation as the method is available to anyone who wants it.

One of the points I took with me from SCI was that just because someone
is bright or expert in a field DOESN'T mean they are enlightened.  They
are just bright or expert in their field.  When I encountered such
people in life I watched to see if they really could function that way
outside of the their field of expertise.  How well did they handle
abstract thought?   Often I would be surprised then maybe a little
further unsurprised when I learned (usually after they found I did yogic
techniques) that they too delved into spiritual realms.  I would have
never suspected that one techie friend was expert in Tarot but his
mother is Russian and it was a practiced passed down in the family.  And
this guy is a big fan of the Skeptical Inquirer.