> Very neat story, Shemp, thanks for posting it. I
> had no idea of Cronkite's role, let alone that of
> the kid in Silver Spring.
>
> I remember one of my roommates at the time bringing
> home a copy of "I Want to Hold Your Hand."

Was this before the Ed Sullivan appearance?

> The three
> of us (recent college graduates) practically wore it
> out over the next week or so.

What prompted you to play it over and over?  Obviously because you liked it but
was it because you noticed something new and different?  I ask because although
I became a Beatles fanatic like pretty much everyone else in my generation, the
only reason I was interested in their music at first was because my older
brother was, and without that influence I'm not sure I would have listened to
them initially (I was 9 in 1964).  I'm curious to know -- especially
pre-Sullivan -- what it was that caught people's attention.