Anti-Reform Group Takes Credit For Helping Gin Up Town Hall Rallies
<http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/health-care/anti-reform-group-takes-c\
redit-for-helping-gin-up-town-hall-rallies/>
Conservatives for Patients' Rights, the operation that's running
a national campaign against a public health care option, is now publicly
taking credit for helping gin up the sometimes-rowdy outbursts targeting
House Dems at town hall meetings around the country, raising questions
about their spontaneity.
CPR is the group headed by controversial former hospitals exec Rick
Scott that's spending millions on ads attacking reform in all sorts
of lurid ways, a campaign that's  being handled
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/10/AR20090\
51002243.html?hpid=topnews>  by the same P.R. mavens behind the Swift
Boat Vets.

has undertaken a concerted effort to get people out to the town hall
meetings to protest reform. The spokesperson, Brian Burgess, confirmed
that CPR is emailing out "town hall alert" flyers, and schedules
of town hall meetings, to its mailing list.

These efforts — combined with CPR's effort to enlist Tea
Party-ers, as  reported yesterday
<http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/08/inside-the-tea-partiers-anti\
-health-care-organizing-campaign.php>  by TPM — provide a glimpse
into the ways anti-reform groups are trying to create a sense of public
momentum in their favor.

CPR spokesman Burgess confirmed that the group had set up a list serv
designed to reach out to "third party groups" involved in the
health care fight, including the Tea Party activists. And in a statement
emailed to me, Scott, who was  ousted
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/10/AR20090\
51002243.html?hpid=topnews>  as a health-care exec amid a 1990s fraud
probe, took credit for the town hall showings.

"We have invested a lot of time, energy and resources into educating
Americans over the past several months about the dangers of
government-run health care and I think we're seeing some of the
fruits of that campaign," Scott said, though he claimed outrage was
spontaneous.

Similarly, America's Health Insurance Plans, or AHIP, the insurance
industry group, has  stationed employees
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124891353497192109.html>  in 30 states
to track local town hall events.

The question is whether these uprisings are actually helpful to the
anti-reform cause, or whether their raucus agitprop will work againt
them. Dems have  blasted out to reporters
<http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0809/The_danger_in_the_rights_an\
ger.html?showall>  examples of protestors harrassing House Dems.

"The more you dig the more you learn that this is a carefully
orchestrated effort by special interest lobbyists and the Republican
Party, who are using fringe elements on the right to protect insurance
company profits and defeat health care reform," said House Dem
leadership aide Doug Thornell. "The anger at these events looks very
similar to what we saw at McCain/Palin rallies in the fall."

http://snipurl.com/owwh8  [theplumline_whorunsgov_com]