____________________________________
 From: or...@hatchforsenate.com
To:  wle...@aol.com
Sent: 8/6/2009 6:21:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: A  few more reasons why I voted No

(http://hatch.rootshq.com/administrator/components/com_civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=139&qid=189533)

William --
This morning, before the confirmation vote on Judge Sotomayor, I  addressed
a few more reasons why I voted "No" on her nomination.
Short version of my speech: Judge Sotomayor's record simply creates  too
many conflicts with principles about the judiciary in which I deeply  believe.
I hope that on the Supreme Court, Judge Sotomayor will take an  objective,
modest, and restrained approach to interpreting and applying  written law. I
hope that she actively defends her impartiality against  subjective
influences such as personal sympathies and prejudices. And I  hope that she
sees
the Constitution, both its words and its meaning, as  something that she must
follow rather than something she can change.
Because the record does not convince me that Judge Sotomayor holds  those
views today, I could not her support appointment to the Supreme  Court.
My full speech on the Senate floor is pasted below. I'd appreciate it  if
you would share your thoughts by replying to this email.
Sincerely,

Senator Orrin Hatch
P.S. Take a moment to read my comments and see how times have changed
since the Democrats unfairly filibustered Miguel Estrada. Senators and
grassroots groups, including Hispanic organizations, who today say that  a good
resume, rich life story, and ethnic heritage make a compelling  confirmation
case opposed even holding a vote for Mr. Estrada.
____________________________________

Statement of Sen. Orrin G. Hatch
Before the  United States Senate
Regarding the nomination of Sonia Sotomayor to  be Associate Justice of the
Supreme Court
August 6, 2009
On Tuesday, I explained some of the reasons why I cannot support the
nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to replace Justice David Souter and  I will
mention a few others today. Her record simply creates too many  conflicts
with principles about the judiciary in which I deeply believe.  I wish
President Obama had chosen a Hispanic nominee whom all Senators  could support.
During the debate this week, many of my Democratic friends have spent  time
reading Judge Sotomayor's resume rather than reviewing her record.  Nearly
every speaker on the other side, for example, has repeated the  talking
point that she has more federal judicial experience than any  Supreme Court no
minee in a century. I know that she does, and I respect  her for it. But
Justice Samuel Alito had only one less year of federal  judicial experience,
and
actually had five more years on the U.S. Court  of Appeals, when he was
nominated. He too had been a prosecutor, and he  too had received a unanimous
well-qualified rating from the ABA. Yet 19  current Democratic Senators voted
to filibuster his nomination, and 35  voted against confirmation.
Other Senators emphasize the importance of appointing someone with  Judge
Sotomayor's inspiring life story and ethnic heritage. Once again,  I do not
disagree. Yet she is being treated with far more dignity and  respect than
was Miguel Estrada, a highly qualified Hispanic nominee  with an inspiring
life story. The Senate, for example, will today  actually vote on Judge
Sotomayor's nomination. In 2003, for the first  time in American history, this
body
was prevented from voting at all on  the Estrada nomination, even though he
had majority support. Senators  and grassroots groups, including Hispanic
organizations, who today say  that a good resume, rich life story, and ethnic
heritage make a  compelling confirmation case for Judge Sotomayor opposed
even holding an  up-or-down vote for Mr. Estrada. The treatment of Miguel
Estrada was  unfair and disgraceful toward the nominee and damaging to the
traditions  and practice of this body.
My Democratic colleagues want people to believe that the concerns  about
the Sotomayor nomination are limited to one speech and one case.  Some of them
have said as much. At the same time, they say that our  review should be
limited to only certain parts of the nominee's record.  As I have done with
past nominees, however, I examined Judge Sotomayor's  entire record for
insight into her judicial philosophy. In addition to  the controversial
speeches
that I discussed on Tuesday, Judge Sotomayor  gave a speech at Suffolk
University Law School which was later published  in that school's law review.
She
embraced the idea that the law is  indefinite, impermanent, and
experimental. She rejected what she called  "the public myth that law can be
certain and
stable." She said that  judges may, in their decisions, develop novel
approaches and legal  frameworks that push the law in new directions.
Judge Sotomayor's speeches and articles, then, present something of a
perfect judicial storm in which her views of judging meet her views of  the
law.
Combine partiality and subjectivity in judging with uncertainty  and
instability in the law, and the result is an activist judicial  philosophy that
cannot support and that the American people  reject.
My Democratic colleagues will no doubt quickly say that Judge  Sotomayor's
cases do not reflect that judicial philosophy. But remember  that appeals
court judges are bound by Supreme Court precedent. On the  Supreme Court,
Justice Sotomayor will help fashion the precedents that  today bind Judge
Sotomayor. That makes the rest of her views --  expressed, I might add, while
she
has been a sitting judge -- much more  relevant to her future on the Supreme
Court than to her current position  on the appeals court.
Nonetheless, Judge Sotomayor has made plenty of troubling decisions  on the
appeals court. On Tuesday, for example, I discussed the case of  Didden v.
Village of Port Chester, in which Judge Sotomayor refused to  give a man his
day in court whose property was taken and given to a  developer. She came
to the bizarre conclusion that Mr. Didden should  have sued before his
property was even taken.
In Kelo v. City of New London, the Supreme Court held that general
economic development can constitute the public use that the Fifth  Amendment
says
justifies the taking of private property. We hear a lot  these days that
judges should appreciate how their decisions affect  people. When the Court in
Kelo greatly expanded the government's power  to take private property, the
San Francisco Chronicle said that the  decision might turn the American dream
of home ownership on its head.  And one Washington Post headline after the
decision read: Court Ruling  Leaves Poor at Greatest Risk. This decision was
devastating not only for  the right to private property in general, but for
individual homeowners  in particular.
The decision in Kelo was issued after the briefing and argument in  Didden
but before Judge Sotomayor had issued her decision. Even though  Kelo was a
landmark decision that dramatically changed the law of  takings, she did not
ask for re-briefing or re-argument. Instead, it  took her more than a year
to issue a cursory four-paragraph opinion that  not only made it even easier
for the government to take property, but  also severely limited the ability
of property owners to challenge the  taking of their property in court.
I and other Senators have already discussed Judge Sotomayor's  troubling
decisions regarding the Second Amendment right to keep and  bear arms. She has
applied the wrong legal standard to conclude that the  Second Amendment
does not keep state and local government from  restricting the right to bear
arms. And she has gratuitously held that  the right to bear arms is so
insignificant that virtually any reason is  sufficient to justify a weapons
restriction. No federal judge in America  has expressed a more narrow, cramped,
and
limited view of the right to  bear arms.
My friends on the other side of the aisle have made some creative  attempts
to downplay these troubling decisions. Perhaps the most curious  is the
claim that the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms was  created by the
Supreme Court. On the one hand, I am baffled why this  should bother those
who believe in a flexible and shape-shifting  Constitution. The Supreme
Court, after all, makes up rights all the time  -- the right to abortion comes
immediately to mind -- without a peep  from most of my Democratic friends.
But the Senator who offered this strange theory should simply read  the
Constitution. The right to keep and bear arms is right there in  black and
white. Perhaps he is instead referring to the Supreme Court's  recognition last
year that the right to bear arms is an individual  rather than a collective
right. Perhaps that is what he believes the  Supreme Court created. But the
Second Amendment says that the right to  bear arms is a right of "the
people." The Fourth Amendment says the same  thing about the right against
unreasonable searches and seizures. It,  too, is a right of "the people." Does
any
Senator doubt that the Fourth  Amendment protects an individual right? Does
the Senator who believes  the Supreme Court made up the individual right to
bear arms believe that  the Supreme Court made up the individual right to be
free from  unreasonable government searches?
When I chaired the Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution in  1982, we
published a report on the Second Amendment right to keep and  bear arms. It
thoroughly examined the long and rich history of this  right, which
pre-dates the Constitution itself. As the Supreme Court has  recognized, it was
fundamental individual right of Englishmen at the  time of America's founding
which the Second Amendment merely codified.  Justice Joseph Story, in his
classic Commentaries on the Constitution,  called this right "the palladium of
the liberties of the republic." Our  report showed definitively that the
right to bear arms is indeed both  fundamental and individual. The Supreme
Court may have taken a long time  to recognize this constitutional fact, but it
made up nothing in doing  so. I ask consent that this report be printed in
the record following my  remarks.
Finally, let me describe one other matter that arose during the  hearing
which I found very troubling. Prior to her judicial service,  Judge Sotomayor
was closely associated with the Puerto Rican Legal  Defense and Education
Fund, a respected civil rights organization. From  1980 to 1992, Judge
Sotomayor held at least 11 different leadership  positions with the Fund,
including
serving as a member of both its board  of directors and executive
committee, and as both a member and chairman  of its litigation committee.
In a 1992 profile, the New York Times described Judge Sotomayor as a  top
policy maker with the Fund. Other articles and profiles in the Times  and
Associated Press say that she met frequently with the legal staff,  reviewed
the status of pending cases and briefed the board about them,  and was an
involved and ardent supporter of the Fund's legal efforts.  These descriptions
relied upon and quoted lawyers with whom she worked  at the Fund. Minutes
from the Fund's litigation committee specifically  describe Judge Sotomayor
reviewing the Fund's litigation strategy and  cases.
At the hearing, I asked Judge Sotomayor whether she had been aware of
friend-of-the-court briefs that the Fund filed in several high-profile  Supreme
Court abortion cases. I asked her about that because those  briefs made
arguments that can only be described as extreme. The Fund,  for example,
compared the refusal to pay for abortions with taxpayers'  Medicaid funds to
oppression of blacks symbolized by the Supreme Court's  infamous Dred Scott
decision. The Fund opposed any and all abortion  restrictions, including laws
requiring that parents be informed before  their young daughters have an
abortion. The Fund even argued that the  First Amendment right to freely
exercise
religion somehow undermines  parental notification laws.
When I asked Judge Sotomayor about these briefs and arguments, I made
absolutely clear that I was asking only about whether she knew about and
agreed
with them at the time the briefs were filed. I was not asking her  even
about her current views, let alone any position or approach she  might take in
the future.
Judge Sotomayor told me that, at the time, she did not know the Fund  was
filing those briefs or making those arguments. At times, she used  what
appeared to be the prepared talking point that she had not  "reviewed the
briefs." But in answering my questions, she went much  further than that and
said:
"Obviously [the Fund] was involved in  litigation, so I knew generally they
were filing briefs. But I wouldn't  know until after the fact that the brief
was actually filed."
To be clear, Judge Sotomayor said that she never knew until after a  brief
had already been filed what arguments were made in the brief or  even that
it had been filed at all.
I was shocked at this response and, frankly, find this claim very
difficult to believe. How can a leader at a legal defense fund, who is
actively
working with the legal staff, briefing the board about pending  cases, and an
involved supporter of the Fund's legal efforts be  completely out of the loop
about the briefs the Fund is filing and the  arguments the Fund is making?
Did her discussions with the legal team  about pending cases skip these
high-profile Supreme Court cases? Did she  brief the board about everything but
these abortion briefs? The six  abortion cases in which the Fund filed
briefs were among the most  visible cases on the Supreme Court docket. The 1989
case of Webster v.  Reproductive Health Services, for example, attracted a
record 78  different friend-of-the-court briefs, evidence that it was one of
the  most anticipated cases in decades. Virtually everyone in the public
interest legal world, especially at civil rights groups, had it at the  top of
their watch list. And yet Judge Sotomayor would have us believe  that,
despite her leadership positions and active involvement with the  Fund's cases
and legal strategy, she was completely unaware that the  Fund filed a brief in
Webster until after the fact. In other words, she  knew no more than an
outsider reading the newspaper about the Fund's  briefs and arguments in
high-profile Supreme Court cases about  hot-button social issues. That is
simply
implausible.
When I met with Hispanic leaders and groups during the confirmation
process, their common message was that Senators should treat Judge  Sotomayor
seriously and respectfully. I believe we have done that. But  they also
insisted
that our confirmation decision should be based on the  merits, not on race.
It was disturbing to hear, therefore, that some of  these same groups
appeared yesterday with the chairman of the Democratic  Senatorial Campaign
Committee warning about political repercussions of  voting against a Hispanic
nominee. I ask consent that a column published  yesterday in Politico by former
Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio  addressing this issue appear in the
record following my remarks.
Let me once again return to where I began. One of America's oldest  state
constitutions opens by asserting what it identifies as essential  and
unquestionable rights and principles. In their charter, the people  of Rhode
Island
state: "In the words of the Father of his Country, we  declare that ‘the
basis of our political system is the right of the  people to make and alter
their constitutions of government; but that the  constitution which at any
time exists, till changed by an explicit and  authentic act of the whole
people, is sacredly obligatory upon all." The  Constitution belongs to the
people.
The people established it, and only  the people can change it. This
essential and unquestionable principle  would be a farce if the people could
change
the words, but judges could  change the meaning of those words. Judges
would still control the  Constitution, and their oath to support and defend it
would really be an  oath to support and defend themselves. America needs
judges who are  guided and controlled not by subjective empathy that they find
inside  themselves, but by objective law that they find outside themselves.
I take a generous approach to the confirmation process. I believe  that the
Senate owes some deference to a President's qualified nominees  and that
qualifications for judicial service include not only legal  experience but,
more importantly, judicial philosophy. A judicial  nominee must understand and
be committed to the proper role and power of  judges in our system of
government. Evidence for a nominee's judicial  philosophy must come from her
entire record. I hope that on the Supreme  Court, Judge Sotomayor will take an
objective, modest, and restrained  approach to interpreting and applying
written law. I hope that she  actively defends her impartiality against
subjective influences such as  personal sympathies and prejudices. I hope that
she
sees the  Constitution, both its words and its meaning, as something that she
must  follow rather than something she can change. Because the record does
not  convince me that she holds those views today, I cannot support her
appointment to the Supreme Court.
_Link_
(http://hatch.rootshq.com/administrator/components/com_civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=140&qid=189533)

_Website_
(http://hatch.rootshq.com/administrator/components/com_civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=141&qid=189533)
   | _Donate_
(http://hatch.rootshq.com/administrator/components/com_civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=142&qid=18953
3)
Paid  for by Hatch Election Committee Inc.

175 S. West Temple, Suite 650 | Salt Lake City, UT  84101

This email was sent to: wle...@aol.com
_Privacy  Policy_
(http://hatch.rootshq.com/administrator/components/com_civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=143&qid=189533)
  | _Unsubscribe_
(http://hatch.rootshq.com/index2.php?option=com_civicrm&task=civicrm/mailing/optout&reset
=1&jid=91&qid=189533&h=2b520ef183381bb6)